S-10 Overheating

I have a 2000 Chev S-10 4x4 . My problem is when the a/c is on the engine temp goes way above normal. When I turn the a/c off the temp goes back to normal. Anyone know what would
cause this?
--
Don Torgrimson
23 Alderwood Blvd.

Your logic is good but cooling system is suposed to be designed to deal with this. I have two GM 4x4 that have no heating issues at all with A/C on even on hottest days. A few things to check here. First maybe a bad thermostat that is not opening properly. Second, check to see if radiator is maybe plugged up. Third, check to see it core stack is plugged up with bugs or dirt reducing airflow and cooling. Last, verify operation of clutch fan. Typically the bimetal coil that controls clutch operation ages and when it does it raises engagement tempature of the clutch fan and the result is that engine runs warm. The good news is that it is adjustable if you want to take the time to do it. Unless the seals or bearing go bad in one they do not just wear out otherwise. In the link below you will findinstructions on haw to adjust it.
http://forum.snoman.com/viewtopic.php?ty ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
I would replace the fan clutch considering your symptoms. Very easy repair. About $60 at Napa for the part.
James

The S-10's were real bad about gumming up the cooling system with the Dex-cool coolant. Remove the radiator cap and see if the thing isn't full of brown crud. Coolant level could just be low, too. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

======================== what Crow said, ditto.
Pop the cap, ck the level. FIRST.
~:~ marsh ~takes a toke....first things first~ ~:~
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 11:37:59 -0700, Marsh Monster

So *that's* why the double post.<g>
Thankee, don't mind if I do. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM