s-10 plow

I was looking into putting a snowplow on a 1999 zr2 ext cab s10.The Boss plow rep said they won`t put a plow on 99 on up s10 because of ball joint failure on the light frontends s10`s have. any coments or suggestions...Bob

Reply to
Robert

Don't plow with a mini truck?

Reply to
Advocate

Western said the Same thing. But I have been plowing snow with an 1989 s10 pickup since 1995. And I have NO MECHANICLE problems what so ever .. 193,000 miles on the truck. Bought the truck NEW in 1989, And I know that nothing has been replaced except for the Vacuum switch on the Transfer case ONCE !

Robert wrote:

Reply to
tom

I question the validity of this. Most reputable companies will not do it because of design limitations of front end because a plow adds about twice its weight when lifted (due to leverage and CG shift) and this can greatly shorten its life. Fisher make a light weight plow for your application (the Home steader) and SnoWay offers several options too. Make no mistake about it, snow plows are hard on trucks regardless of what anyone else tells you and choosing the truck and plow correctly is VERY important. Below is a link to a list and links of the major plow manufactures that you can search thru and see what you can find otherwise.

The SnoMan

SnoMan

I question your reasoning.. I will create a website to upload the pics of the S-10 in action LAST WINTER !

The Front of the s-10 Goes down 1 inch when lifting the plow !

Reply to
tom

Only if the plow is made out of plastic or you added timbrens or it is already riding on suspension bottom. Also I did not say you could not push snow with a S10, I said you need to do it wisely and the 190k with no repairs from pushing snow is a stretch because I have worn out a few far better equipped trucks that were not abused, just used.

SnoMan

Yes Wisely and not try to plow at 30 mph.. also Not gun the truck in Reverse. as u can see from my website, The Blade is Made of STEEL ( I made the Blade) the Grader blade is From a LARGE GRAVEL ROAD Grader Blade. Welded to the plow I made ! in 1994 when I was working at a WELDING SHOP.

Took my wife & I the Whole month of May of this year to Restore the Body using a HARBOR FREIGHT WIRE WELDER and a few old CAR HOODS !

and the 190k

Reply to
tom

No comment on suspension mods I see or how high the rear end goes up when you lift plow? On another note, if you spray the underside of truck with used 90w gear oil (or 85w140) in fall and in spring, it does wonders for preventing salt damage. It does smell a bit for a few days but I have a old 79 J20 that plowed for many years and it has little rust for its age (and they are known to rust big time) and the frame is basically still close to 100% with only some surface rust in a few areas. The added plus is that you can still remove bolts pretty easy even today because they are not fused with rust.

SnoMan