S-10 running bad.

I have noticed my truck was a bit harder to start the last few times when going anywhere but tonight it started running real rough. If I gave it any gas at all it would slow down and start shakeing, if I took my foot off the gas pedal it would speed back up to aroudn idel speed and start moving. It would then speed up and slow down like someone was pressing and releasing the gas pedal. I was able to crawl home that way and when I got to a stop light I shifted to N and the engine speed started climbing till the light turned green so I dropped it in D and chirped the tires and sped off. When I pulled in the driveway it was like I was standing on both the gas and brake. It hasn't set a SES light yet so I first thought maybe my fuel pump was failing until the engine speed started to climb. TPS maybe sending back wrong position? Around 50k it was running a bit rough so I replaced the plugs and wires with Ac delco and changed the fuel fillter. I have about 63k now, its a

2000 S-10 2.2L. Does TPS sound reasonable, since I have no SES light I can't go anywhere to have any codes pulled.
Reply to
Eugene

Sounds somewhat familiar to something that happened to my S10. Somewhat - mine would die. But it was just as random in behaviour. Bad EGR valve. Erratic idle, needed to be monitored or it would die. Sometimes would run just fine, other times would bog down. Slight black smoke. Good luck.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

there is a couple of things i have found to be the problems. first thing could be your torque converter lockup switch it will act like it is either between gears or like it is stuck in high gear . the other is there is a spacer between the intake and the throttle body that has electric wires i have found that some get gas and air freezing and chokeing the motor autozone has a spacer gasket that takes car of the problem

Reply to
GARAGE OWL

WTF ????

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

he said when he got home it was like the gas and the brake were on i had the same problem when i replaced the lockup switch the problem disappeared it was keeping the convertor locked up

Reply to
GARAGE OWL

what part are you talking about ?

the 'lock-up switch' is part of the ECM