s10 blazer transmission swap

we have two chevy s10 blazers: an '87 tahoe with a 2.8 v6 (tbi) and an automatic transmission (i believe it's a four speed, but i could be wrong), and an '88 base model with a 2.8 v6 (tbi) and five speed manual. the '88 is rusted beyond repair

but the engine andtransmission are still good (it has a little over 150k miles on it).the '87 has much less rust and a rebuilt engine which is in bettercondition, but the automatic transmission is slipping and leaking. iam not interested in another automatic for this vehicle (if you'veever driven one, you'll understand). i would like to take the manualtransmission out of the '88 and put it in the '87. what i'm looking for is a list of parts that need to be swapped (e.g. the transmission, clutch assembly, flywheel, pedal assembly, shifter, any wiring, any electronics, etc.). if someone could provide step-by-step instructions for ease of installation, that'd be great. i'm sure there are people out there with hints or tricks to make things easier.

this needs to be done as cheap as possible, so if it isn't broken when it's removed it probably won't be replaced. after a year of searching, i managed to find a part-time job and need transportation so that i don't have to keep borrowing vehicles. i'd love to drive the '88 into the ground, but it's becoming a hazard to drive because it's so rusted.

Reply to
amaralliya e. thenardier

I own one of these vehicles. It's got an AT.

I'd take the AT over the MT any day.

I indeed do not understand what you mean.

Reply to
burntkat

That's cause you have a 4.3 and not a 2.8.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

. . s10 blazer transmission swap Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Jun 22, 2004, 3:12pm (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (amaralliya=A0e.=A0thenardier) we have two chevy s10 blazers: an '87 tahoe with a 2.8 v6 (tbi) and an automatic transmission (i believe it's a four speed, but i could be wrong), and an '88 base model with a 2.8 v6 (tbi) and five speed manual. the '88 is rusted beyond repair

but the engine andtransmission are still good (it has a little over 150k miles on it). the'87 has much less rust and a rebuilt engine which is in bettercondition, but the automatic transmission is slipping and leaking. i amnot interested in another automatic for this vehicle (if you've everdriven one, you'll understand). i would like to take the manualtransmission out of the '88 and put it in the '87. what i'm looking for is a list of parts that need to be swapped (e.g.the transmission, clutch assembly, flywheel, pedal assembly, shifter,any wiring, any electronics, etc.). if someone could providestep-by-step instructions for ease of installation, that'd be great. i'msure there are people out there with hints or tricks to make thingseasier. this needs to be done as cheap as possible, so if it isn't broken when it's removed it probably won't be replaced. after a year of searching, i managed to find a part-time job and need transportation so that i don't have to keep borrowing vehicles. i'd love to drive the '88 into the ground, but it's becoming a hazard to drive because it's so rusted. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

You can't do the job. There's the best advice you're gonna get. Sorry if it isn't what you wanted. It's a 10 day job for someone that doesn't have the proper tools or the knowhow. And you don't have the knowhow or you wouldn't be posting the question....you'de just go do it. That's 10 days....9 hours a day, and your knuckles are going to be bleeding, your heads gonna get banged up, you're gonna break stuff because you're gonna force things to move that don't want to......all because you don't have the experience it takes to do the job. It's a 2 day job for me. And I NEVER brake ANYTHING.

Then again you could go the "it's a project" route. You know.....take 3,4,6 months to get it done. That way everytime you run into a snag you can jest come on back here and get advice before you break something.

If you insist on putting money in this hair brained project that you got in mind........

here's some more advice......

Call around and find yerself a tranny shop that will give you a "free" inspection. Tell them the tranny isn't working good and you' want to know how muck it's going to cost to get it fixed. When you get to the tranny shop, hang out in the bay area talk to the techs, get to know them a little.

AFTER....your truck is back in the parking lot and AFTER....they have giving you you're keys back, go home and wait for the R&R technician (that you gave your phone number to) to call you when he gets off work. When he calls you....offer him $500 to do the swap out for you.

If you wanns try that 3-6 months "project" deal.,

and.....

If you're serious about this..... I will talk you through it. Let's get that standard on the ground first. Now go outside and take the driveshaft out.....let me know when you get that done and I'll give you the next step......we'll be done in no time.

Minimal Tool List (for step 1)

11mm 3/8 drive deepwell 6 point socket

6 inch 3/8 drive extension

3/8 drive breaker bar

11mm wrench Try the wrench first .....you may get lucky but I doubt it.

PREFERRED METHOD

11mm swivel impact and a 4 inch extiension on a 1/2 inch impact gun.

Let me know when you have it off and I'll tell you how to get the crossmember down. Take yer time......I'll be here.

00 L O

MarshMonster ~hopes you don't use Taiwan sockets...... OUCH~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

ahhhhh.. must slow down, danieal-san.....

Reply to
burntkat

Yeah, that's what the 2.8 said to the 4.3, he he he he. Great motor in the Fiero, cruddy in a heavy Blazer.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"