S10 Compressor cluth or compressor??

My compressor pulley stopped spinning yesterday on the interstate and melted the belt.
How can I tell if it is the clutch or the compressor itself? When I turn
off the air the pull willspin freely. There was a ton of what looks like brake dust coming out from between the pulley and the clutch.
Thanks!!
Lannie
PS It has always cranked out cold air. Never sounded bad or anything.
The compressor locked up.
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10