S10 Compressor cluth or compressor??

My compressor pulley stopped spinning yesterday on the interstate and melted the belt.

How can I tell if it is the clutch or the compressor itself? When I turn off the air the pull willspin freely. There was a ton of what looks like brake dust coming out from between the pulley and the clutch.

Thanks!!

Lannie

PS It has always cranked out cold air. Never sounded bad or anything.

Reply to
LS

The compressor locked up.

Reply to
Mad Dog

Is there a way to test it to determine? Is it as simple as engaging the clutch removing the belt and seeing if I can turn it?

Lannie

Reply to
LS