Securing a Winch

I've recently installed one of the warn classic winch bumpers along with a brush guard on my 92 k1500. Along with that I've installed a warn XD9000I electric winch.
Anyone know of any good theft prevention ideas. Since it would appear that its fairly easy to remove I would like to make it harder to steal. About the only thing I've seen that would work is to try and secure the winch with chain or cable when not in use, and use some type of padlock. I've heard of people spot welding the bolts that secure the winch to the bumper but the winch instructions warn against doing this.
One other option would to fabricate some type of door or bar over the top of the winch which would restrict removal from the top. Of course something that did not interfere with the winch operation, and that could be removed if necessary.
Any ideas?
Elbert
--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil

Use a longer bolt and after the nut is on, bore a hole through the bolt. Use a padlock so the nut won't come off unless you want it to. .

Usually a chastity belt will secure your wench. ;-)
Elbert wrote:

yea :)

Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil
When I want to secure a winch, I usually ply her with booze and then tie her up with the sheets.
As for how I secure the electrical winches on my two boat trailers and truck is that I use extra long bolts. I then put two or three nuts on using high strength Loc-TiteT to secure them. If the thief wants your stuff, there isn't a lot you can do to stop him. The Loc-TiteT will just slow him down about as much as a spot weld on the nut will, and that is the point. Slow the thief down and make it too hard on him, time is his enemy. If you know that the Loc-TiteT is there its easy to get the nuts off by applying just a little heat from propane torch or even a propane cigarette lighter which will destroy the bond. Three nuts on four -inch threaded bolt shafts bonded with Loc-TiteT, should discourage even a "King Kong" using wrenches.
Of course, a really mean dog sleeping in the truck bed or boat is much more effective. Dogs don't take prisoners.
Diamond Jim

Locks only keep the honest people out, spot weld the nut /bolt together for peace of mind. -- Mad Dog

I secured winch and 5 wheels with special anti-theft wheel nuts (McGuard or similar) available at Autozone. Order them all with the same pattern and you will need only 1 insert/key for removal.