seperate Y-pipe from catalytic

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

Don't ever hit any chisel without wearing safety glasses.
Just a reminder...
Al
Don't hit anything under a truck without eye protection... /music starts /disco ball spins It's a rainin' rust, it's rainin' rust.... oh yea hallelujah it's rainin' rust .... oh yeaaaaa
~KJ~

Not in Georgia. It just rains a little red dirt.
Jeff

Mine rains Blue Papa (translation: a soil type, a dense blue/grey clay)
rhys
I couldn't work on the truck today because of inclement weather. Will update tomorrow.
Jeff
Well
    I coudln't get the catalytic seperated. No welds, and no rust weld, but I guess the calmp just creased the slip joint collar too much.
    So, I reinstalled the pan, and reassembled without replacing the doughnot gaskets. If worse comes to worse, I can get an exhaust shop to do it. I'd rather have an exhaust leak than a truck on jackstands for another week.
    So, everything is reassembled, except that I can get some of the studs to the exhaust manifold reinstalled, so I am getting new ones this week.
    Thanks for all the help. I hope this works out ok.
Jeff

What I usually do is use an air hammer with a long-shafted, blunt, flat chisel. You can run the chisel between the two pipes and it will open up the crease from the exhaust clamp. Usually only have to "de-crease" 180* before she'll slip out.
Doc

    I tried user a hammer and cold chisel to do that (I tried everything everone suggested), but the crease was at least an inch and a half into the pipe (the catalytic pipe was the wider of the two), and I was afraid of mangling the slip joint of punching a hole in the exhaust. I wanted to reuse all these parts, and I'd rather have a leaky exhaust than spend more money. I know it sounds cynical, but the truck has 220,000 miles, and the transmission may be gone anyway (see original post).
    As an aside, while I was under there today I suddenly remembered the last time I changed a cat, when I was a kid. I remembered that I used a "come along" secured on the rear axle.
Jeff