Serpentine belt tensioner question (95 4.3L W)

I am curious as to whether or not there's an easy way to tell if my serpentine belt tensioner is in decent shape?? It seems like the spring is gone as it's very hard to move. Are these adjustable? How easily should it
move?
My concern is that this may be causing excessively hard steering. Is it possible that too much belt tension would cause hard steering? I'm wondering if the idler pully that was replaced was damaged due to the tension also...
Any thoughts on this? Is there a good way to 'read' the gauge on the tensioner itself? I can't find any useful info in my Haynes on this one.
Thanks. Andrew.
AWN wrote:

Nope. The only effect a tensioner would have on steering would be if it was loose. If you can hear the belt squeal when it's cold or when you apply throttle then it MAY be loose. However it is VERY possible that a squealing belt is also worn out.
You should NOT be able to move it easily. If you can move it with just your hand then it is loose. It should require a wrench and a good solid pull to move it. The 4.3s are known for the idler and tensioner assemblies going bad. The tensioner goes bad because it gets loose. The idlers go bad because they have a sealed bearing which likes to go bad.

--
Steve W.

The marks are for indexing the tensioner to obtain correct tension. The tensioner arm is supposed to be hard to move. The pulley, howver should not be hard to spin. If it is, it's failing and needs to be replaced asap.