service 4WD

I just recently had my service 4WD light come on and stay on. I am hoping that it is just the switch going bad or maybe it has a cold solder. Has anyone else had this problem? I am also curious about if the switch is
bad, is it possible for my 4WD to engage while I am just driving? I do not want to be going 65mph and suddenly my 4WD Lo to engage on me. Should I take out the 4WD fuse until I get it fixed? Any help would be appreciated.
texx wrote:

Tons of Silverado's have had the push button 4x4 cold solder joints...
FIX it immediately.... dealer did my 00 free under 3 year warranty...
The 4x4 truck was never designed to be operated under IFFY 4x4 engagement
happenstance conditions..... If you pay... about $50....
You can replace the switch module for under $60 or take it out and re-solder the pins to the circuitboard from the plug. Mine did that for about 3 years before I finally took the 20 minutes to solder it. Easy job. 4WD never engaged while driving down the road though.

engine,and restart, it goes away. The dealer checked for codes in the computer and there were none (he said). I'm glad to know of the cold solder joint problem.
Roy Boyden wrote:

You have a different problem. Your dealer should be up to speed on this, if they are reading their bulletins. I believe your vehicle requires a software update.
Ian