Service 4wd Light On - Help !!

Hi Guys,
The "Service 4wd" light has came on in my 2000 Silverado 1500. I have not used the 4wd in a few months and everything seems Ok, except the
light being on. The truck is a 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71 with 5.3 engine, Tow/haul auto transmission with 77,000 miles on it. Does this light coming on indicate there is a problem or is just a reminder to do some type of maintenace to the tranny. Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve

the
reminder to

Common problem. Switch is likely fried and needs replaced.
Doc
Doc, Which switch are you talking about ?
Steve

The push-button 4WD switch panel. On yer' dash, with all the buttons to select your desired setting................
Doc
"Trapshooter870" wrote

reminder to

If you happen to get it scanned, and you come up with the code 2725, it's the dash switch.
Ian
... and to add to the other responses: if the code does show that it is the autotrac pushbutton switch, you can get one from www.gmpartsdirect.com [that's where i got mine (for my 01 Tahoe)] and replace it yourself (it's really easy):
Part: 15709327
Unit Price: $31.26
Thanks for all the help. I will get the local Autozone to do a scan and if the code is 2725 I will order the switch. Really appreciate the help !!!
Steve