Service 4wd Light - Problem Solved !

Hi guys, I mentioned last week that the Service 4wd Light was coming on intermittently on my friends 2000 k1550. You guys said it was probably the Autotrac switch cluster on the dash. Well...right you were!!! My friend couldn't wait to order thru the website that someone posting here so he went to the local dealer and paid full price, over $50 he said. He installed the new one and that fixed it!! It also improved his gas mileage??? We think the truck must have been shifting in and out of 4wd without him even knowing it. He showed me the old part that he removed, and me being an electrical tech I had to of cousre tear it apart to see what was wrong. It snapped apart very easily and the problem was obvious!! The solder joints around the pins that plug into the wiring harness were cracked. I resoldered them all and we reinstalled it. Works Great!! So if some of you other guys run into this problem, check the solder joints on this switch cluster before you shell out the cash for a new one. Now if we can just get our local dealer to take back the one we bought, I will be the hero in my friends eyes. If not, he will soon have one for sale on Ebay!!!! Thanks for your help guys!! Steve

Reply to
Trapshooter870

I had the same problem on my 2000 K1500 which I bought about 3 weeks ago. The 2WD light would flicker, light up dimmly, or just go out. My Service 4WD Light would also come on.

After reading on this newsgroup about this problem, I took the switch apart an now it works like a champ. Thank you, whoever suggested this fix.

Sharing information is a great thing.

I do have a new light coming on that I don't know how to turn off. The message display now says "Change Engine Oil". Will this light magically go out after changing the oil? It is not due for an oil change according to the sticker on the windshield.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Reply to
bkherr

Change Engine Oil light.....

Every time U or dealer change oil,,,

Turn on Key (only)..... And tap gas pedal 3 full times....

Wait for the Flashing 'Change oil' message confirms the reset....

This motion resets the change oil light....

Reply to
Dennis Mayer