Service Engine Soon

Hello, I have a 96 Yukon, and for some reason, it doesn't like anything below 89 Octane (Mid Grade). Even with 89, it occasionally throws on the Service
Engine light. I looked in the manual, and it said it's most likely has something to do with emissions. Does anyone know about this problem or have something to try?
Robert
~Robert Brugman~ GPG Key ID: 82506034 GPG Fingerprint: D710 B8D9 C72A AB56 174F 71AC 3619 9F32 8250 6034
If you have a chiltons or other repair manual you can look up the specific code. As I recall with my 88 pickup you can insert a paperclip and get the code off of the dash. I believe it explains the process in Chiltons. This will narrow your search down quite a bit.
Corey

have
Sorry, 96 and later = OBDII. Can't read them like that. Go to Autozone, they will read it for you. (and hopefully sell you the parts to fix it) KenG
Corey Scheich wrote:

i am a gm tech and i have never seen octane make a check engine light come on. none the less you need to take it to a shop w/ a scan tool to determine why it is on. the paperclip tric stopped working on 1994 vehicles DO NOT TRY IT!!
low octane fuel could cause severe knock that the sensor is detecting which the computor can't compensate for causing a service engine light to activate.
Dave.

have