"Shift Kit" for '97 Yukon AT -good idea? Doc?

I got 73K on the Odo on my 1997 Yukon, 5.7Vortec. Got the 4L60 tranny (I think?) ...so far no sunshell issues, but have a odd "weight shift forward"
sensation when I come to a dead stop? Tranny Guy tells me that it's probably one on the valves (can't remember the acronym he used for it?) ...recommends a shift kit , states It upgrades the valves/modules and improves the tranny performance??? Wants approx. $250 to do the job? Any comments from the group? Would appreciate your help! TIA, Harp
dont know about your application but ..... i have had 9 shift kits put in in my life and the only 2 tranny`s i have blown had not got the kit yet and boy did they blow easily. hehehe

forward"
probably
...recommends
tranny
save your $$$

forward"
probably
...recommends
tranny
Gary, What to you know that I don't???? By the way, I drive almost all freeway & city...rarely off-road anymore! Thanks!

(I
shift kits on the 4L60E are pretty useless, unless you rebuild it at the same time

Gary can/would you explain a little more about why not?

tranny
because anytime you mess with shift timing and /or clutch and band apply rates, you are asking for codes to be set
the ECM is looking for ratio changes within a certain time after commanding a shift, get too far outside the programmmed values and it's 'Check Engine light' time
if you do the overhaul and install of the kit at the same time, you can follow the kit manufacturer;s recommendation for clutch pack clearances to avoid any conflicts
as far as the actual kit goes, I'd suggest the Superior 4L60E kit.......simple to install, crystal-clear instructions

it's
the
Thanks Gary, That made it loud and clear!!!
Thanks

shift
I asked another Tranny company today regarding the "shift kit" and they agree with Gary...waste of time and asking for shift timing problems, etc. They explained that the "weight shift" I described is from the lack of lube in the driveshaft splines (they dry out) and the DS releases/suction/pops-loose from the yoke after I come to a stop...they described the sensation exactly!! Like someone tapped your rear bumper from behind! They recommended a fluid change and to service the splines with a better quality lube than OEM....around $100 and to skip the shift kit!

4L60
improves

that
it?)
Doc & Gary, Sincere thanks to you both for your time and great advise! Peace, Harp

"weight
Harpman wrote:

I've heard a lot of people having good experiences with the Trans-Go kits. I think the older 98 and below 4L60's benefit the most. The new ones are real picky with how they operate, and the computer steps in to try and make it operate how it 'thinks' it should, and will sometimes throw codes.
If you check out a site like:
http://www.4l60-e.com
-They give you some info on what part/kit does what.
-marc