Shock Absorber Replacement - 150k Miles - Question

I have about 150k miles on my K1500 now and am wondering about the condition that the shock absorbers are in. The ride seems "ok" to me but I do notice it being a little more rough over bumps on the roads around here. It is the Z71 package (1998) and the shocks are Bilstein gas/oil. After reading Bilstein's advertising propaganda it looks like the shocks should last until the end of time, but I doubt it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on when/if I should replace them and if so any particular types of shocks besides the Bilstein ones that came with the Z71 package? Thanks.

Forest

Reply to
Forest Hursey

I'm about to replace mine on my '99 K1500 pickup with Z71. I bought Monroe Gas-Magnums, I've used them in the past and really have had good luck with them. I'll post after the weekend to let you know how they are on the K1500. I had a set on my last truck, an '82 F150. And they were great, they also were still working when the steel upper shields were rusting away.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I replaced the factory Bilstein shocks on my Z71 today with Monroe Gas-Magnums. As with all the other times I've put these on my vehicles the ride has been firmed up, but does ride better at the same time. Beside putting them on my '82 F150 I've used these on must of my old muscle cars twenty years ago. When hitting rough spots in the road I don't get the BAM that I got with the Bilsteins . It just soaks up the bump and goes on. The Gas-Magnums are also built a lot heavier than the Bilstein shocks are.

My truck has 75,000 miles on it and has only been really off rode once. The factory shocks started feeling weak around 65,000 miles.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo