Shocks from hell

The shocks were just about shot when I got my '97 Tahoe. Replacing them has been a headache! The driver's side front shock has provided me with the most miserable time in this project's short life. The damn thing is still up on the stands (3rd day), as I can't get the bottom portion of the new shock to sit in its proper space so I can feed the bolt through. I don't remember shock replacement being this difficult. To make matters worse, it looks like the differential is leaking and the result has been a slimy, gooey mess blown all over the front left tire shock, and brake assembly. Anyone else have horror stories, hints, or just wanna laugh at the mess I've gotten myself into? p.s. - the last person to install the shocks rounded over the nut on the lower bolt for the front, passenger side shock. now I've got to fight that one as well!

Reply to
Matt

Colorado Springs, CO My advice may be worth what you paid for it.

Reply to
Dan Dunphy
~

Shocks from hell Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Oct 8, 2003, 3:58pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Matt)

The shocks were just about shot when I got my '97 Tahoe. Replacing them has been a headache!

The driver's side front shock has provided me with the most miserable time in this project's short life.

The damn thing is still up on the stands (3rd day), as I can't get the bottom portion of the new shock to sit in its proper space so I can feed the bolt through. I don't remember shock replacement being this difficult.

To make matters worse, it looks like the differential is leaking and the result has been a slimy, gooey mess blown all over the front left tire shock, and brake assembly.

Anyone else have horror stories, hints, or just wanna laugh at the mess I've gotten myself into?

p.s. - the last person to install the shocks rounded over the nut on the lower bolt for the front, passenger side shock. now I've got to fight that one as well! ~~~~ ~~~~ Matt, simmer..simmer....simmer down now.....

1st.....get in your Caddy and go over to the Dealership and buy a new nut to replace the one that's rounded off.....you may even consider the HARDWARE store.

2nd.....if you have the suspension hanging because you put the jack stands under the frame or the bumper...then jack the suspension up so's the hole will line up.

2nd..2nd...if that don't work, then loosen up the top and give yerself enought slack to try it again.

3rd...2nd.....if that don't work, bolt the shock up to the lower mount first...then....with great loving care....align the top up and work on that end, possibly using the jack to raise the suspension.

4th...2nd....if that don't work....do a repost and tell us what the hell is going on....

hopefully informative....

Marsh Monster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster