should I tow with a flatbed truck?

With a 1985 S10 4x4 Blazer that has an automatic transmission installed, do I need to use a Flatbed truck if I am only going to tow it 5 miles? What is
the proper way to tow this vehicle to avoid damage to the drivetrain?
On 1/30/12 11:30 PM, don wrote:

Neutral. This disconnects both front and rear driveshafts, and then you are OK to tow with rear wheels on ground. ( or even all wheels on ground if just pulling it with another vehicle)
don wrote:

If it has the manual T-Case then shift it into neutral and it can be towed without a flatbed. If it has the electronic shift then tow it on a flatbed (personally I like to use a flatbed all the time, less chance of other damage to the vehicle.)
--
Steve W.

You already received two good answers. If you have any doubt about the vehicle's ability to put both drive shafts into neutral, you will want to put the vehicle on a flatbed to haul it. You can test the neutral gear position by shifting the 2high/4high/4low lever into the neutral position, and then puty the drive shift into "Drive" or "Reverse" and you should be able to hear the freely- spinning gears under the floorboard, while the vehicle does not move.
-- "I'd like the globe to warm another degree or two or three... and CO2 levels to increase perhaps another 100ppm - 300ppm." -- snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca
Thanks for the advice - I used a flatbed - can anyone help me figure out what the gear ratio is on my blazer... the only numbers I found are:
HCB6016 - 1 on the right side front of the tube
14030352 on the left side front housing
I am trying to look online junkyards for a complete rear axle assembly and want to make sure I get the right one.
don wrote:

Look on the options sticker in the glove box.
GT4 is the 3.73 ratio HO4 is 4.11ratio GU6 is 3.42 ratio
--
Steve W.

Are those numbers buried in the registration number?
don wrote:

Well you can take the VIN to a dealer and have them run it, it will show the options and build data.
--
Steve W.

responding to http://www.motorsforum.com/4x4-chevy/should-I-tow-with-a-flatbed-truck-44877-.htm Motorhead7 wrote: Will the t-case output bearings for the driveshafts still get lubrication if the t-case is in neutral and the gears aren't spinning?