should I tow with a flatbed truck?

With a 1985 S10 4x4 Blazer that has an automatic transmission installed, do I need to use a Flatbed truck if I am only going to tow it 5 miles? What is the proper way to tow this vehicle to avoid damage to the drivetrain?

Reply to
don

If your 85 (like my 84) has manual transfer case, put floor lever in Neutral. This disconnects both front and rear driveshafts, and then you are OK to tow with rear wheels on ground. ( or even all wheels on ground if just pulling it with another vehicle)

Reply to
Reed

If it has the manual T-Case then shift it into neutral and it can be towed without a flatbed. If it has the electronic shift then tow it on a flatbed (personally I like to use a flatbed all the time, less chance of other damage to the vehicle.)

Reply to
Steve W.

You already received two good answers. If you have any doubt about the vehicle's ability to put both drive shafts into neutral, you will want to put the vehicle on a flatbed to haul it. You can test the neutral gear position by shifting the 2high/4high/4low lever into the neutral position, and then puty the drive shift into "Drive" or "Reverse" and you should be able to hear the freely- spinning gears under the floorboard, while the vehicle does not move.

-- "I'd like the globe to warm another degree or two or three... and CO2 levels to increase perhaps another 100ppm - 300ppm." -- snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca

Reply to
AGWFacts

Thanks for the advice - I used a flatbed - can anyone help me figure out what the gear ratio is on my blazer... the only numbers I found are:

HCB6016 - 1 on the right side front of the tube

14030352 on the left side front housing

I am trying to look online junkyards for a complete rear axle assembly and want to make sure I get the right one.

Reply to
don

Look on the options sticker in the glove box.

GT4 is the 3.73 ratio HO4 is 4.11ratio GU6 is 3.42 ratio

Reply to
Steve W.

That sticker has long since gone - but thanks for the codes Are those numbers buried in the registration number?

Reply to
don

Well you can take the VIN to a dealer and have them run it, it will show the options and build data.

Reply to
Steve W.

responding to

Motorhead7 wrote: Will the t-case output bearings for the driveshafts still get lubrication if the t-case is in neutral and the gears aren't spinning?

Reply to
Motorhead7