Silverado speedometer failure

The used 2000 Silverado I bought about a month ago now has a speedometer and odometer problem... Yestarday while driving home from work I noticed the Speedometer would be on 0 until I hit about 40 km/h it would then sort of bounce around, it then stop working all together. This morning when I left for work it started to work when driving out of my driveway, but quickly started to jump and then fell to 0 and never moved again... My odometer stopped working also.

What could my problem be...cluster, cable (cable need to be lubricated)?

Any help would greatly be appreciated..

Thanks

nevlis

Reply to
silven

Sounds like a bad connection to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), you don't have a cable, it's all electronic.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

"\"Doc\"" wrote in news:edOdnVE454MhxgTdRVn- snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Once I sent the message I realised the cable idea was stupid.

Where do I find the the VSS connection. Do you have or know where can I find the schematics...

Or could you give me a brief description on how to find it.

Thanks for the help. I would like to try the VSS connection before I have to bring my truck to the Chevy dealer

Silven

Reply to
nevlis

If 2WD, the VSS will be mounted in the tailshaft portion of the AT case. If

4WD, it will be mounted near the output shaft of the transfer case. Usually has 3-4 wires leading to it. If you bought a $20 Chiltons or Haynes manual it would show you what it looks like and outline the testing procedures.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

"\"Doc\"" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Thanks,

It is a 4WD... I will check it out this weekend

nevlis

Reply to
nelvis