Silverado vs Chevrolet pickups (3500 series)

Page 1 of 2
I am contemplating purchase of a new diesel pickup. Definitely am NOT considering buying a Chrysler product. My wife is prodding me in this direction, and I have a couple of questions.
1. What is the difference between Silverado and Chevrolet pickups.
2. Just how reliable is the 3500 series. I want to buy a truck that would last a long time. I use trucks for commute, hauling stuff for resale, and for towing a 3,500 lbs boat on trailer.
3. How loud are those diesels.
thanks.
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 17:35:20 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus32140
The Silverado is an Chevy truck and Sierra is the GMC brand countrt pat but them both come of same aassembly line

Like any new truck, they get more complex every year so there is more to potentailly go wrong with them. They are not like the trucks of even 10 or 15 years ago that where still fairly simple

Gm has one of the quietest diesel engines in trucks and aurguably the best tranny too, the 6 speed ally (wicth is also availible with 8.1 and 6.0) ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Got it. I should have said GMC vs. Chevrolet.

You see, I had a bad experience with a Dodge RAM 1500, so I am looking for something that is "honestly made", made to last and work to spec, and not like the Dodge mechanic told me about my RAM, "made for the looks".
That's where I am coming from.
I could even pay more for something that is made very well. Is that Allison transmission, for example, very reliable or is it just a fancy name?
Ignoramus32140 wrote:

Chevy/GMC- Virtually the same exact vehicle. The only difference between them are the available option packages. GMC may have a group that has tinted glass, auto dimming mirrors, auto headlights. Chevy may offer Tinted Glass, Auto headlights and a manual mirror.
The Duramax (Isuzu) is THE quietest diesel hands down. Nobody else comes close.
The same is true of the Allison automatic. They are VERY heavy duty. Take a look in fire engines, garbage trucks, buses, heavy delivery vehicles. They almost all use an Allison automatic now. In the 3500 you even get a solid front axle instead of IFS.
--
Steve W.

Thank you, that was very helpful. I really lik ethe idea of strong front axle and good transmission.
Now, I hope that I won't raise ire of this newsgroup's gods, but how does this vehicle compare to Ford F-350 diesel?
Thanks
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 22:53:54 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus32140

The 6.0 is not even in the same league and has been a pac of trouble for ford. It would be the last oil burner that I would select. It is a shame because the old 7.3 it replaced was about bullet proof. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Steve W. wrote:

Where do you see this? The standard 3500 trucks that we sell, single wheel or dualie all use IFS.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

One of the guys in the fire department just bought a new 3500 and is has a solid axle. Surprised me because I could have sworn they were all IFS. I'll have to ask him about it, maybe he had some aftermarket work done?
One of the other members just picked up a new ford 350, that thing is so noisy it is hard to hear the siren over the engine...
--
Steve W.

Steve W. wrote:

I know that there is some sort of "heavy duty" 3500 that is made, and I believe that they have a solid front axle, but only if they are 2 wheel drive. I haven't seen a GM light duty truck with a solid front axle in years.
Ian

Last one built was in 91 though there as some aftermarket convertions out there it is not a easy conversion and it requires a left side drive front axle because of transfer case design and not a right hand side drive like GM trucks through 91. Please note that while GM came out with new style P/U in 88 the Blazer, Suburban and 3500 trucks were still built on the old style chassis thru 91 just like when Silverado came out in 99, GM still used the older classic style chassis through 2000 for 3500 series trucks. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

They haven't much in common with the trans used in fire engines or other heavy vehicles other than the name. They were for quite a bit problematic I don't know if this is still true, I'm sure others will jump in.
Where are you finding a solid front axle in a 3500?
Roy

The Ally had a few issue the firsst year or two it has out but it has been improve and it was beefed up again in 06. Most of the earleir problem were related to user boosting or chipping motor and giving no thought to its effect on drive line. When the Ally came it is was called a 1000 series, which stand for its torque capacity in metric newtons (same for 4L60/65 and 4L80/85 by adding a zero to them) and 1000 is equal to about 600 fgtlbs and a stock 1000 is good to about 700 ft lbs and then it starts to slip (ie chipped) New models will handle more torque and are good up to about 800 ft lbs now though they are rated less.. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Guess again, still IFS as GM has no solid axle option. I have a 2000 K3500 and it is IFS. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

GM is in the crapper. Think about it...

Hey idiot!! Been waiting for you to prove me wrong, down a couple of threads in the 4X4 mileage thread. You ran your mouth, now bring it.
Oh, that's right you just bury your head. Damn, your sig is wrong again. Let me help ya out.

El Wed, 04 Oct 2006 21:30:58 -0400, Roy escribi:

The only person here to whom that insult might apply is you, for going so wildly off topic. Perhaps you haven't noiced, but this thread is about Silverado vs Chevrolet pickups. If you have a gripe in another thread, then take it up there.
And it wouldn't hurt your credibility any to post verifiable facts rather than kindergarten insults. Correct or incorrect, SnoMan posts information that can be objectively proven or disproven, a practice you would do well to emulate rather than belittle.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copn, Honduras

Looks like it would apply to you seeing as you are off topic as well.pkb
If you are going to play net nanny ya can't have it both way's

I told you where to find veriable facts, look it up. Or you can look around here and see it being pointed out by others as well.
No pal you can emulate him. It would seem based on your post you two are of the same ilk.

A Silverado is a Chevrolet. Roy is calling Snoman because he needs to be.
>3. How loud are those diesels.
Gm has one of the quietest diesel engines in trucks and aurguably the best tranny too, the 6 speed ally (wicth is also availible with 8.1 and 6.0) ----------------- TheSno-- --------- It funny this came up.I was sitting at a light tonight and a diesel was next to me.I told my wife "they sure are quiet now days."
When Religion ruled the world , they called it the dark ages.
Don Farr Roswell NM 88203 D-farr AT cableone DOT net
None, Chevrolet makes the Silverado.