Silverado vs Chevrolet pickups (3500 series)

Page 2 of 2
@NOSPAM.32140.invalid says...

Unless its powered by a Cummings and has a manual trans then a Ram is alright. Hemi is crap.

GMC dealers are more likely negotiate with you on price.

Reliability isnt an issue so much as cost to maintain. Big truck, big parts, big labor = big money. I got to hand it to GM though, their newer trucks have gotten much easier to work on. Much more cleaned up under the hood than the mid to late 90's. Anything older than 97 doesnt have power to match todays trucks.

A 1500 will tow a 3,500 lbs boat and trailer just fine. Are you planning on sticking it in the bed of the truck and throwing away the trailer??? If not a 3500 sounds overkill. I've seen 4x4 1500's haul Bridgeport knee-mills (2250lbs est) in the bed without breaking a sweat. 3500's are used to pull double car trailers. (12,000 rated) From what I read a 4x4 2500HD would be more reasonable for you.

Same sound output as a gas engine. Ford powerstroke however.......

Well, I had a RAM and I am not very happy, unfortunately.

I see.

That's nice to know.

I agree, but, I think, operating way below rated capacities is a good thing in society where capacities are not stated honestly.

Perhaps you are right, here I may be coming from a overly conservative point of view.

Sounds good. I appreciate your thoughts on this.
How easy are these trucks as far as routine maintenance goes?
Greetings,
Since you mention that you will use this truck to commute then let me add my piece. For the towing you will be doing and what you want, then my suggestion is the 2500HD instead of the 3500. It will tow all you want and more by a factor of three, will still have the Duramax diesel and Allison tranny, will be easier on fuel than the 3500 and easier to park with the single rear wheels.
I've got almost 50,000 miles on my '04 Silverado crewcab 2500HD 2wd with the Duramax and Allison with very few minor problems. I've also had over 20 years years in the fire service driving Fords (ambulances, rescue trucks, command vehicles, etc.) with a variety of Ford diesels and transmissions spanning the generations - which is why I own a Chevy. 'Nuff said.
My fire department uses Allison transmissions on our mid and large apparatus. The Allison 1000 series is common in our medium duty rescue trucks in both the Freightliner and International chassis.
Cheers - Jonathan

Jonathan, so, then, what is the difference between 2500 HD and 3500 models?

There are only two significant differences between the 2500HD and the 3500 (not counting the dual rear wheels, but you can get a 3500 with the single-rear-wheel option if you want). On the 3500 there are a few additional leaf springs on the rear axle and larger tires (265-75R16's I believe, as compared to the 2500HD's 235-75R16's). However, the stock rear axle ratio on the 2500HD is 3.73:1 where I believe the stock ratio for the 3500 is 4.10:1, although you can order a 2500HD with a 4.10 rear if you want.
With that in mind, the dual rear wheels make the truck harder to park, and the 3.73 rear axle is just a little better on mileage than the 4.10 without sacrificing all that much in towing capacity. FWIW, my '04 is rated to tow 12,500# with a WD hitch or 15,500# with a gooseneck in the bed. Either way, the 2500HD is overkill for your 3500# boat! Also, starting in '06 the Allison now has 6 speeds instead of the 5 that mine has - helps to squeeze out just a little more MPG on the highway.
Cheers - Jonathan

Thanks for a godo summary. I think that those extra springs allow for extra carrying cargo capacity (like being able to load a heavy machine in the back).

absolutely

Sure, though it is better to have an overkill than my Dodge RAM POS experience.

Yes. Very nice.
I definitely want a diesel vehicle, I have a diesel generator also and like diesels. As for 2500HD vs single wheel 3500, I am still deciding.
Thank you Jonathan for spending time to answer my question.

Greetings,
I have not priced trucks since I purchased mine, but I guess you'd have to look at the difference in real dollars between a 2500HD vs. a 3500 with single rear wheels and decide if the extra leaf springs and larger stock tires are worth the price. It's pretty cheap to add an extra leaf or two yourself and just upsize the tires when you wear the stock ones out.
All other stuff aside, I can very much recommend getting the crew cab (which I have and love the extra room). I can also recommend getting a spray-in bed liner (I got Line-X), but other than an aux fuel filter I've not made any significant modifications to my truck. I thought the LB7 series Duramax was powerful when I bought mine, but the new high output ones are real bruisers. Even with this being a pretty heavy truck, the back wheels still like to break loose unexpectedly with an empty bed.
One last item, the new regulations for sulfer in diesel fuel are going into effect in '07. The new ultra-low sulfer fuels will have 15 parts per million or less, while the current low-sulfer fuels have 500 ppm. There are warnings everywhere that state you absolutely cannot use the current 500 ppm fuel in a vehicle designed for the new 15ppm fuel or it will damage your motor (although you will be able to use the 15 ppm fuel in an older truck designed for 500 ppm), and fuel quality problems are seldom if ever covered under warranty. Since not all gas stations will have the new fuel right away then that could be an issue if you bought a new truck and couldn't find anywhere to fill it up! Therefore, it would pay to find a truck that was rated for the older 500 ppm fuel and buy it as soon as possible so you won't have any problems when the switch goes into full effect. Just something to think about...
Cheers - Jonathan

I will definitely check it.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have a four door extended cab now, it is great, but I would rather have a full four door cab.

Yes, I have bedliner now and I would not want to use a truck any other way.
I will also look into getting a removable truck cap.

What do you mean here, are you just referring to bumpy ride or wheels slipping?

Ouch, something to think about, for sure. Thanks Jonathan.
igor