Since we were discussing transmission coolers

Is Hayden a good brand? Anyone use them? Are the rapid cool worth the extra price over the regular model? Eugene

Yes, Hayden is one of the best IMHO. Can't say 'yea or neigh' on the rapid-cools, I've always used the regular style (biggest model, made for Class A motorhomes towing up to 10,000#) with great results.
On my current truck, on a 90* day, A/C cranked, mountainous roads with long inclines, cooler feed-line temps went from 200-210* to 140-150*.
Doc

"Doc" wrote:

Reason I thought about the rapid cools is my truck is an s10 so I have less space to work with. I hit 230 driving home on spring days, haven't even hit a 90 day with the ac running yet.

    On my 89 S-10, I had persistent heating problems. It finally got so bad one time that the transmission boiled and blew fluid out of the vent. After that, I aggressively started working to cool the truck down.
    First I installed a transmission cooler. I used whatever Pep Boys was selling that fit into my truck. No special rapid cool, etc.
    Next I repalced the 195* thermostat with 180*. I used to swap them winter and summer, but then I just left the 180 in all the time. Its ok, and I only lost 1 MPG.
    Finally, I replaced the radiator. THe OEM radiator looked ok, and it wasn't leaking, but the Modine I installed made quite a difference. I guess a few of the little channels were blocked, and with a radiator that small trying to cool the 4.3 liter, there was no room for error.
    After replacing those parts, I haven't had any problems in 50,000 + miles. I never did get around to putting an electric fan.
Jeff
I would say yes to both. I've used the rapid cool (plate type) in a mini van since it gives more performance in less space. Also feels a little more "rugged". Larry