Smoke and Smell

My '89 S-10 Blazer coughs a small cloud of bluish smoke on startup and it has a definite exhaust/gas smell for a few minutes. I've checked the oil and
it doesn't seem to be burning that much at all. What could it be?
yep

it
before you plunge into installing valve guide seals, make sure the drain-back holes at the rear lower corners of the heads are not blocked
4.3's are especially bad for this !
if blocked, oil will pool in the rear of the valve cover and no valve seal is good enough when it is submerged in oil

and
thanks guys, I'll try to drive into it this weekend. Is this an easy, medium, or hard job?

it
Preety straight forward on that year, if you know what you are doing.
-- 98 Camaro

oil