Spark Plugs

Page 2 of 2
Let me resubmit this question.
My repair facility charged me $13.78 plus sales tax each for 6 platinum, original equipment spark plugs for mu 1998 4.3 GMC Jimmy.
He also charged $64 for 1 hour labor (the going rate here) I called NAPA and they want $5.99 each for platinum plugs. Question is: DID MY REPAIR FACILITY RIP ME?
It seems as though list price for the plugs and $64 per hour shoud be fair.
Doesn't NAPA offer free delivery to the repair facilities??
Doesn't NAPA offer a discount to the repair facility so they can charge list price and still make $$$ on the part(s)?

From what I understand 1 hour is fast switch for that truck and that engine.

Did you not listen? HE HAS BILLS TO PAY. His job isn't to cut you deals, his job is to make money. One must understand this. I don't think 100ish% increase in price is outrageous.

No idea.

No idea.
I think you should try the job yourself and see if you don't think it was worth the time. The plugs like to stick and to get the rear-most plug on the driver's side you need to go in through the fender.
~KJ~ <thinks it was $146.68 "not wasted">

for that price I'da done it myself.. $40 for parts and an hour or so of my time is alot better then that.. but I agree if your gonna take it to a shop, you're gonna pay for it..
Adair

Is there any point at which YOU would feel ripped off? Or does "they have bills to pay" cover all scenarios? Just curious, are you a republican? H

The point I fell ripped off is when I drive by any mechanic. They have bent me over WAAAAY too many times. If I ever ran into anything (besides maybe an alignment) I'd buy a new car before bringing it to anyone besides Doc....

Yes and no. I believe that money has to be spent to get this economy turned around.

Remains undecided. There are dem things I like, and republican things I like - but I can't agree with any one party.
~KJ~
. . . ======== Re: Spark Plugs Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Feb 26, 2004, 11:51pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@attbi.com (KJ)
The point I fell ripped off is when I drive by any mechanic. They have bent me over WAAAAY too many times.
If I ever ran into anything (besides maybe an alignment) I'd buy a new car before bringing it to anyone besides Doc....
<snip> ~KJ~ ========== ouch.....
and to think.....i told him how to get his tranny out while parked over a ditch.
bummer....and "the Doc" gets all his work.
oh well.... i'll jest charge the next guy bout $14 ea. for his spark plugs to make up for it.
00 L O
marsh ~thinks KJ has this argument won.....and agrees with all he's argued.....cept the part bout Doc get'n all the work....kj realy oughta spread the wealth....after all ....that truck needs more work than even "the Doctor" can handle~ ~:~
ps.... standard markup is 2.4.....so i figure they lost money on the deal, that is if you go by what the AutoZonedOut store sells them for...and THEN add the markup....... But you didn't....you purchased DEALER parts... or so you posted....
one other thing....you think you got ripped on that one?
when that tranny goes out....keep this in the back of yer mind.....the tranny shops only gonna have about $200-$400 in parts AND LABOR.....
now there's a markup for you...hehehehehe
any whooo.....kj hert muh feel'ns....i hope his tranny lines leak.. ==========
(KJ)

Ya but I didn't do it your way. I actually said your way was very 'neanderthal'istic. :- )

I've been so used to you being gone that I didn't even thinka you. Jus' getting used to you being back.

Hell my truck would need the entire NG helping me for several weeks to get it ready for prime and paint.

I bet there going to start leakin' even more.....

~KJ~

Yep and electronics parts are just as bad as are the people who sell them. Take your average TV selling price of about 200 bucks and total cost in parts is about 20 bucks, The tube is the most expensive part in it and I can get them as repair parts for 60 bucks. Where does the other 120 bucks go?
Just like mechanics they claim overhead and labor costs. Of course these sets are almost all made in Mexico/china/Japan/Korea. TYP.
they go into the maserati payments

Do you have any flippin' idea how many hands your TV went through? The parts went through a broker like me, to the guy in Mexico. The guy in Mexico made it for say Sony and he sold it to Sony corporate. Sony then will sell it to a wholesaler and then that wholesaler will sell it to circuit city. It's insane, but they all have over head. But the biggest rape is truly at Circuit City.....(in particular - growl)
~KJ~

that sounds about right. platinum plogs are pricey
. . ====== ====== snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (RogerA.Johnson) cried out...... My repair shop charged me $13.78 each for 6 platimum spark plugs (original Equipment) plus the hourly rate to install them.
Did I get ripped?? ========= =========
Y E S YOU DID !!!!!
and i'm gonna help you get yer money back!
here's a secret fer yuh, that all these auto workers in here don't want you to know!!!!! (scumbags)
if you call yer lawyer, he'll sue that low-down, grease-fer-brains, money grubb'n, no-fingernailed, scarred knuckled, broken backed, bad kneed, arthritic, grungy , son of sap-sucker ......fer you.....
all for the low, low price of bout $150 p/hr
what....???
you don't trust lawyers.....???
you tink dey ov'r payed...???
oh....
well.....
never mind then.
marsh ~will try to think of some more prudent help fer yuh...promise~ ======= =======
. Y E S YOU DID !!!!!
and i'm gonna help you get yer money back!
here's a secret fer yuh, that all these auto workers in here don't want you to know!!!!! (scumbags)
if you call yer lawyer, he'll sue that low-down, grease-fer-brains, money grubb'n, no-fingernailed, scarred knuckled, broken backed, bad kneed, arthritic, grungy , son of sap-sucker ......fer you.....
all for the low, low price of bout $150 p/hr
what....???
you don't trust lawyers.....???
you tink dey ov'r payed...???
oh....