squeaky belt?

My '98 K1500 makes a squeaking sound when it is running and I believe it is the belt or possibly a bearing in one of the items the belt goes to. Any
ideas on what it may be or if it is the belt itself, is there some sort of belt dressing I can put on it to quiet it down? The sounds is like if you would say squeakity, squeakity, squeakity over and over again out loud. Has been making this noise for a while now, alt is new and water pump was replaced around a year ago or so along with the belt. Can't recall if it was making the sound back then or not but now that I am tuning the thing up, I don't want any extra noises if I can help it. New plugs, wires, & dist cap go on tomorrow. Would like to do tranny fluid & filter change in the near future if I can find the Mobil 1 Dexron somewhere around here since it is due (or overdue) for a change along with the xfer case & front & rear diffs.
Dave
dcbryan wrote:

Next time you replace your Chevy fan belt.....
buy a GoodYear 'Gatorback' of the proper size...
Fan belt noises should be history.....
Generally you can find 'em at alternator rebuild shops..

Here here on the Gatorback! Dontcha love the "turbo-like whine" it produces as the revs increase?
Doc
Dennis Mayer wrote:

    you should be able to find them at parts stores as well. Most stores hounor Goodyears lifetime warentee on the belts as well. If not keep the sleave and recipt and Goodyear it's self will. Charles
You might also want to look at the idler and tension pulleys. I had the idler (the upper pulley in the middle) go on me once and I was getting all sorts of squeaks prior.
--
Ron Sparks
"dcbryan" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

is
Has
up,
it
Probably the belt. If the tensioner spring is weak, it could allow some minor slippage which would prematurely glaze the belt. Belt dressings are bad news on serps.
Dave (another)

Most likely the belt as bearings tend to make a constant noise (wwwwwhhhhhiiiiinnnnneeeeeee) while belts are more like you described (squeakity, squeakity). Regarding belt dressing and the consensus that they are bad news for serp belts.............I've used STP belt dressing on various serp belts without a problem. It actually says on the can "for V, poly-v and serp belts." I'd give the belt a small blast and see if it quiets up. If it does, you know it's the belt for sure. You could then clean the pulleys with brake parts cleaner or denatured alcohol to remove the belt dressing that may remain on the pulleys before installing the new belt.
Doc

Doc, you are right, but he can also use a spray bottle and a small amount of water to spray on the belt. If the noise quiets down only to reappear in a minute or so, replace the belt. If the noise stays, even with the damp belt, start looking for a bad bearing in one of the following: alternator, idler pully (most likely it is this), and even check the power steering pump for noise. SF

U should buy (for not much mulla) a mechanic's stethoscope to locate bearing noises
ken wrote:

Too expensive , When u Can use a Broom stick and it works Better .

A piece of wood will do as well. Use the grain to transmit the sound.

or a rubber hose. old john

Put the Gator on my Yuk, all was well, few months later it was slipping and squealing. Tensioner got weak, do both at once so ya can close the hood for a while. Tensioner's not that expensive. 80k miles on mine when it went.
--
John
"some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"