"Standard" rear axle size & spline # for 1998 Z71 K1500 ???

Does anyone _know_ if there is a "standard" rear axle size & # of splines for a 1998 K1500 Z71 Extra Cab pickup? Thinking about replacing open rear carrier with G80 or other locking differential and I am new to Chevies - thus not as well versed as I need to be to purchase any parts.

TIA,

Panther1

Reply to
Panther1

Is if has a 10 bolt rear axle which is also called a 8.5 inch (or 8.6 inch sometimes) it should have 30 spline axles. Prior to 89 they were

28 spline and for several years after that it could have either but by 98 they all had been 30 spline for some time. If for some reason you have the 14 bolt 9.5 inch rear axle the spline count is not a issue. I would suggest that if you want a posi unit to stay away from the G80 GovLoc since it is not very sturdy in the 10 bolt axle especailly with oversized tires. I would suggest a Eaton LSD in its place.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan