Started from scratch with the Edelbrock, advice needed...

you should not have to go with smaller jets on a 600 CFM carb with a stock engine?

I use to run some various Holleys on a quasi hot-rod i had at one time. Mostly stock 350 , a holley 600 ran very well, later when added a completely different modified engine went to a 750.

I agree with your advice or whomever made the point about make small changes at the time. Seems like you would want to get your idle scquared away first.

I'm guessing on a stock engine that one or two jet sizes would be as much as even would make sense to do. I would think a 600CFM carb would power a stock small block just fine, without modification. As i recall a minor change in metering rod or jet size can really get you too much fuel when you can't handle it. YOu would need some steep gears to take the fuel if you changed it much at all as far as jets or I'm guessing this carb uses metering rods on the secondaries like a quadrajet? been a long time since I even thought about carbs.... but it would be nice to have an old school hot-rod to mess around with. I'm thinking that might be one of my future projects.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

Oh thank God for the wonderful world of fuel injection. Nothing like driving your truck 2 miles down the road, pulling over and reading the laptop. Make a couple quick adjustments to bring your BLM's back in and try in again. Don't even have to open the hood to tune it, not to mention you can have several programs for towing,highway travel or the 1/4 mile. But the Edelbrock I can't help you with. I guess I've always been lucky, pretty well run out of the box with minor changes. If you look I think they still wear the Carter name on them.

Reply to
David Johnson

Try a 6 or 6.5 inch power valve. You might also reduce the size of power valve to if possible. You may not find the fuel flow you need in main jets for smooth transition without being too rich at times. You could also try polishing the road with emery cloth to take a few thousandth of on them and tweak the flow a bit.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Power valve? I thought Edelbrocks didn't have them!?

I did the following Google search: "power valve" site:edelbrock.com

Which searches the entire Edelbrock website for the exact phrase "power valve". I got one link in return, and it was in regards to an Edelbrock Q-Jet.

On a site, I found this: "Briefly though I can expound on a few things regarding how the "power mode" interacts with the main metering system, which I didn't think was explained well enough in the manual. I learned this information through trial and error and through talking to Edelbrock Technical Support. What they call the power mode is the same thing Holley accomplishes by using a power valve."

???

~jp

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

No metering rods on the Secondaries...just jets.

I admit I did go too far with the changing of the jets, and I need to make it richer on cruise mode.

I talked to Edelbrock's tech support yesterday. I wasn't thrilled with the results. The dude kept putting me on hold each time I'd ask a question. He'd come back 30 seconds later with the answer, so I don't feel confident that I was speaking with a real expert. Having done tech support and assisted with training, I can say that a good script to read from can allow newbie tech agents handle *most* calls. But this guy didn't seem to really know what was going on.

I don't know whether to agree or disagree with the statements he made about the gas fumes from the pipe. I haven't checked the plugs in a while, but he said that's the ONLY way to know if it's rich or lean. I disagree. Regardless of what the plugs look like, if you're gassing yourself and everyone within 100 yards of you truck to death with gas fumes, then you're rich!

I was gonna mess with it last night. I left work early to get to the local speed shop to get 2 sets of metering rods. They close at 5:30pm, and like Noon on Saturdays. Traffic was horrendous so I called ahead. I got there right at closing time--doors locked.

I called, got the same dude. Told him I was there and REALLY needed those metering rods. He said "hold on". I got put on hold, then transferred to somebody's voice mail, then automatically disconnected.

An hour and 45 minutes later I managed to fight through traffic to get home--with no A/C.

Needless to say, I was pissed off, hot and tired, and didn't feel like screwing with it.

Oh well...

~jp

Elbert wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Actually, the Carter name may be on that carb somewhere. Seems like I saw it on there at one point.

Believe me...I will be going to fuel injection at some point--probably TBI. At least it's self-regulating up to a point.

~jp

David Johns> Oh thank God for the wonderful world of fuel injection. Nothing like driving

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Got my carbs mixed up sorry. I do reacll that what I wound up doing with my Qjets was to use large jets and large metering rods so that they leaned out well at cruise butfattened up nicely with foot in it. Larger dia rods still have same min diameter at bottom of rod so a biiger rod in a bigger jet allows for lean cruise and more fuel when foot is in it. Maybe you should stick with 98's and find a larger diameter rod. It is a thought anyway.

SnoMan