Started from scratch with the Edelbrock, advice needed...

Page 4 of 4
Eh...looks like I'll be spending the big $$$ for the wide-band sensor and gauge.
The narrow-band gauge shows "lean, stoich, and rich" but that's it. I
want hard numbers to look at. Otherwise it's as useless to me as temperature gauges that show a scale with "H" and "C" on either end.
~jp
Shep wrote:

Jon, do have have 1 and 7/16 primarys or 1 and 11/16 primarys. the 1st is 650 appr. and the 2cnd is 750 cfm appr.

-
Not sure... I never measured it. I just know what was on the box, which was the model #1406 -- 600cfm, electric choke, vacuum secondaries.
And it had the combo of parts that the 1406 comes with -- .098" jets, .075"x.047" metering rods, 4" Hg springs...
~jp
Shep wrote:

Shep,
I am with you on this one. I too raced, both strip, many years, and street (young and dumb) and I never had a carb setup (single or multiple carb) this sensitive. Used AFB's, Rochesters, and Holley's and never had this kind of problem. I keep thinking that Jon is actually battling something that as of yet hasn't been put into the equation. I keep reading these posts and can't put my finger on it, but I keep trying.
There is just too much change (mixture) taking place with each change (jetting and rods) being done. What else can be in this equation?
With mechanical advance only the engine should perform great, just not economical.
I am, for now, just stumped.
George
I think, for a multitude of possibilites, the low vacuum here is the key issue. Even the cam could be phased in retarded, that'l do it also.

-

Oh thank God for the wonderful world of fuel injection. Nothing like driving your truck 2 miles down the road, pulling over and reading the laptop. Make a couple quick adjustments to bring your BLM's back in and try in again. Don't even have to open the hood to tune it, not to mention you can have several programs for towing,highway travel or the 1/4 mile. But the Edelbrock I can't help you with. I guess I've always been lucky, pretty well run out of the box with minor changes. If you look I think they still wear the Carter name on them.
Actually, the Carter name may be on that carb somewhere. Seems like I saw it on there at one point.
Believe me...I will be going to fuel injection at some point--probably TBI. At least it's self-regulating up to a point.
~jp