Starter?? Blazer 94 4.3 W 4x4

Lately I've been noticing a problem.(weather has just turned a little colder) If the car sits overnight, you put the key in and hold it for

5 seconds it just turns over and over but doesn't start. Just sounds like it's spiinning. Can do this again and it spins and spins doesn't sound like the engine is catching though. Definately seems to have enough juice to keep on cranking it.Battery is 1.5 yrs old and definately seems to be putting out enough pwer

Top get it to start it seems if you just turn the key real quick like

1/2 second or so it will get the engine to catch and start. May be a little stumbly for about 2 seconds and then it's fine. If you drive the car for awhile and it's warmed up it doesn't seem to really have the starting issue.

So.... Starter?? and could autozone's tester show if it was a bad starter ? Truck has 84,000 and don't know if starter is original or not

Thanks m

Reply to
vwtopdown

Had this trouble with my 4.3 v6 '90 K1500 with NAPA starters. I went through 8 of them in about a year and a half. Yes, 8 (eight) and I finally got tired of changing them out, so I left the last one in there and just gave myself extra time every time I had to go anywhere. It got worse in the colder months, but eventually did it in the warm ones, too.

What I should have done was to take the old one and have it rebuilt at a quality shop that does such things by trade.

I didn't ever find a solution because I went ahead and pulled the engine and put a v-8 in its place (different starter). Not much consolation, but I've had the same thing. I'd have it rebuilt, if I had your situation again.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman
1/2 second or so it will get the engine to catch and start. May be a little stumbly for about 2 seconds and then it's fine. If you drive the car for awhile and it's warmed up it doesn't seem to really have the starting issue. So.... Starter?? and could autozone's tester show if it was a bad starter ? Truck has 84,000 and don't know if starter is original or not Thanks m

So to answer your questions yes it sounds like the starter and yes autozone can test it..... Thank you very much steve

Reply to
Steve Cook

Actually its the starter's component/s little doubt if anyone cares to find out which one of these, and not the entire starter. Please post a binary to alt.pictures.binaries with the original subject heading in tact please. Thanks. uSed to be you just carried a screw driver the right length for the vehicle, and that was the only "starter," ignition key you needed aside from getting up off yer ass to do it. Anyone here remember those days? Hatt

Reply to
Hatt

The machine at AZ won't always pick up 'intermittent' problems, and the off-car one sure won't be able to determine if the bendix isn't kickin out enough to hit the flywheel.....

I've had many problems with 'parts retailers' rebuilt starters, but it was hardly ever the starter motor - just the solenoid (which this may be in your case too - if the solenoid's not kickin the bendix out enough, or with enough force), and I just put a new solenoid on it, one of the good quality ones from AZ and haven't had problems with it in 2 years (even caked with mud and oil.. ;-) )

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Steve,

Even a bench test never showed my starters to be bad. I could not duplicate the problem anytime I tried (until the last one that I kept in the truck). The test that AutroZrone will do may not show any malfunction, either.

Jeremy sounds like he's on to something. Myself, I just figured after 8 of them, I'd eventually get one that would last.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

Thanks for the replies. It's just weird that i can get it to start better by turning the key real quick (1/2 sec) than by cranking it for three,four or five secs and letting go. BTW, this truck has always started very easily w/in a second of trying to start. The starter still sounds strong though. Would the cold weather be keeping the solnoid from getting the bendix all the way out? Seemed to start better when warm?

Looking in to replacing it myself this weekend.

thanks , mike

Reply to
vwtopdown

Re: Starter?? Blazer 94 4.3 W 4x4 Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Oct 8, 2003, 8:02am (CDT+1) From: somethingorotherdotcom (Snowman) Steve, Even a bench test never showed my starters to be bad. I could not duplicate the problem anytime I tried (until the last one that I kept in the truck). The test that AutroZrone will do may not show any malfunction, either. Jeremy sounds like he's on to something. Myself, I just figured after 8 of them, I'd eventually get one that would last. Snowman "Steve Cook" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2216.public.lawson.webtv.net... True a bench test will not show all conditions He said it was spinning and the motor didnt catch at first and sounded to be just spinning.Which i was under the impression he was just hearing the cylinoid spin and the bendix not catching the flywheel....then he tried agian and it did....we are talking about the cod weather how cold exactly does it get where your at? may be something else ...On the other hand whos the guy with the screwdriver we are trying to get his truck running right not give advice on ripping them off...yeah i remember when guys started their cars like that because they were too cheap to get a cylinoid and remember how much money i made when i had to fix what they burnt up in the process pal seems like no advice is the best asvice you can give.....Ive seen starters do alot of things and had to replace them when the other guy said it was ok....my question is this is the starter in the morning when your having problems with it turning the crank?in other words id you engine turning over but not starting and if it does is your starter dragging meaning turning kinda slow ? Steve

Reply to
Steve Cook

If you have a standard transmission put it in high gear and rock the truck forward and back. If this causes it to crank you have a bad fly wheel. OTherwise it is a starter/bendix problem. Last time I had this problem I lubed the bendix with some aerosol graphite. The kind you spray in locks and never had any more trouble.

Reply to
Jimmy

Well, it seems to me the starter is actually fine. Strong and engaging.Now I'm thinking either old spark plugs /wires, distributer cap/rotor. I don't know that they have ever been changed. I pulled the spark plug wire off the coil and it looked aged with whitish dust in there.

Also, I don't know if i'm hearing the fuel pump kick in. If i just put the key in and turn to start it's pretty quiet. I've read you can have a bad/flakey fuel pump relay and when the engine turns over enough it builds the oil pressure up which then allows it to start. ??? True

ps anyone know offhand the bolt size for the front shocks?

Thanks md 94 blazer,90 le sabre,85 cabriolet

Reply to
vwtopdown

does not have enough clearance, can you offer any help?

Reply to
crakerjacq

On my '90 Jimmy the proper procedure is, to remove the bodymount bolts on the right hand side and jack up the body to make clearance between the frame and the motor.

Since this was too much of a hassle for me, I ended up taking the starter apart inside the space between the motor and the frame and removing it piece by piece, reassembling it the same way.

It's still a hassle but better than breaking a bodymount bolt or two.

Good luck,

John

Reply to
John

I loosened thebolts on the bell housing cover and it was just enough to slide it out as I twisted. Has to be done just right in order for all parts to clear.

LS

PS Found out when putting it in, I could use a large screw driver and pry just a touch and it would pop past the cover and slide into place.

Reply to
LS