Starter, ignition switch, what? 98 GMC K1500

I had what I thought was a flat spot on the starter about a month ago. The solenoid would kick, but the starter wouldn't turn over. If I cycled the ignition switch a few times, it would eventually turn over and be ok for a few days. Then a repeat... I replaced the starter and had no problems until a couple of days ago, when the same problem popped back up. This morning it got even worse. After cycling the ignition a few times, I could hear the starter try to turn over, but it dragged, briefly, followed by the entire instrument cluster going dead. Now the solenoid won't kick in either. My first thought is that I blew a fuse or fusible link.

How is the ignition circuit protected and where do I find the fuse or fusible link? (If it's other than the fuse box)

In doing some research on the web this morning, I came across some references to ignition switch problems on chevy/gmc vehicles that cause some crazy electrical problems. Some other problems I am currently having, but have dealt with up to this point are incorrect readings in the instrument panel. Voltage reads only about 9 volts (occasionally jumping to appropriate levels) most of the time and the fuel guage reads near full until the fuel level in the tank drops to just a couple of gallons - where the guage will drop to empty. I've assumed, and have been looking for, ground problems in the wiring to correct these problems but now if they're all related to a bad ignition switch, including the starter problem.

Can anybody help?

The motor is a 350 and mileage is 180K.

Thanks/ Scott

Reply to
woody

Shep

Woody,

  1. Remove your Positive battery cable(s).
  2. Split the boot.
  3. Seperate the two terminals. You'll have lots of corrosion between the two. Might need to replace the cable if too much. Replace with top post cable if you have a dual post battery.
  4. Wire brush everything to bright metal.
  5. Coat with vaseline.
  6. Reassemble.
  7. Start
  8. Drive

KenG

Reply to
KENG

Had a similar problem with my 1995 K1500 at 190,000 miles. Turned out to be a broken crimp connector at the ignition switch. After years of flexing the tilt-wheel steering, a wire connector broke but would continue to maintain continuity simply because of the broken pieces being close enough together to make contact - USUALLY. Try tilting your steering column up and down while attempting to start the truck - this was how I found it.

Reply to
Stephen Young