Starter is irritating

I have owned this 6.2L '85 Chevy Blazer since May of 2000. Today the starter was replaced for the 4th time since I have owned this truck. Is this common
on these trucks/engines? There isn't a whole lot to the starting system of a diesel engine I didn't think. Is this true? Just the ignition, batteries, glow plug controller, glow plugs, and starter along with some wiring. The batteries are good as well as everything else. The mechanic, of whom I trust very well said he couldn't figure what else could be causing this except all starters from places like Napa are rebuilt and there are chances of getting bad ones. But 4 in the 3 years...seems crazy. Anyone have any suggestions or anything to help me on this? Am tired of dealing with this as often as I have had too. Thanks.
Some starters need to be shimmed when installing.If not shimmed properly will wear out teeth on gear that makes contact with flywheel.
Just a thought
Doug

starter
common
trust
all
getting
or
"Mark G." wrote:

What are the symptoms of the bad starter?
-marc
When it went out finally on me on Saturday and would do nothing when turning the key. No noises at all. Beforehand, it would crank slowly and click and make a spinning sound like the drive was still spinning after the truck started. The starters before this last one exhibited similar and yet different things before finally being replaced. Sometimes seems the culprit is something else that has not been identified. Anyone else with a similar engine setup or exact have any ideas? What about any good diesel mechanics on the board? Thanks and hope to figure this one out. This board has been fairly helpful thus far. Thanks again.

starter
common
of a

batteries,