Starter Problems

'88 K2500(6lug) 6.2 Diesel TH700R4 4x4
This truck was bought used and wasn't maintained all that well. If the truck sits for at least an evening with the temps 20 degrees or lower, the
starter doesn't seem to engage for a while. each time it just sounds like it spins free. With the hood open, you can see the fan move ever so slightly each time the key is turned to start. After a while, it will turn the engine over a half revolution or so then spin free. We pulled it out, floor tested it and it jittered when floor tested. The drive came out and seemed to hit normally. I proceeded to disassemble it. After new brushes, new solenoid, a thorough cleaning, testing everything electrical in it for shorts, it was reinstalled. Free spinning for a few key turns, then engaged every time! I have never done it, or heard of it for that matter, but I was told that the solenoid piston should be lubed with dielectric grease to help keep it from sticking. Is this common practice? I was thinking that the one-way clutch in the drive might be bad. Any help on this? THANX!!!
I've never lubed the solenoid piston but maybe some people do. If your starter is functioning normally, then check your ring gear - it may be chewed up (missing some teeth).
Flywheel is good yet.

This is vevy common in cold temp with a starte haat was had oil driping on the drive end of the starter. Starter drive is sliping due to the oil. Hope this helps
That is what I was thinking. We will probably replace it just to be sure.

the drive end of the starter. Starter drive is sliping due to the oil. Hope this helps