Starter removel 91 S-10 Blazer 4x4?

Hi all,
I have the flywheel cover loose and the starter bolts removed. I am doing this outside on the ground in my drive way. My fingers are numb. What is the easiest quickest way to get this friggin starter
out?
Thanks Mike
It has to be twisted 90 degrees, tipped upside down then it will barely slide out. I also jacked up the tranny which lifted the motor a little. the new starter was much smaller and a breeze to put in.
LS

ever try a starter on a Toyota 4runner? Ya can't even see it.
Passed on it, thinking ya gotta take apart the suspension, and the exhaust, and the......No Way, Jose

I was hoping it would just come right out since I loosened the flywheel cover. The problem I am having is I cannot remove said flywheel cover. I am ready to take a hammer to it.
Thanks
Mike

I had this done the weekend after x-mas. We couldn'e get it out w/o taking off the flywheel cover completely. It was a pain to get out. If I recall it had to be taken out *over* the Y pipe closer to the midline of the truck. it woulnd't fit sliding it downward toward the ground. it had to go up to get off, and i think it was spun around a bit to get it off too.. what ever you do to get it off remember what you did. it too 10 minutes to figure out how we got it out to get it back in. Once the cover was off completely the starter *barely* was removeable. This was on my 91 blazer done in a driveway also.

I couldn't remove the cover either but with eh right twisting and angle it would come out. I also scared a few people who were walking by!! :)

on some models there's a hold-down for the big cable that goes into the oil pan (aluminum pan)..........you can release it by taking off a 10 mm nut, use a swivel socket from the front
flywheel cover will not come off without unhooking the driver's side exhaust manifold flange, and you may have to take off the oil filter (if not a remote set-up) and remove shift linkage cross-shaft

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:07:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On my 1989 4WD S-10 I had to remove the fly wheel cover. To do this, I had to:
1. Remove the universal joint attaching the front of the front of the front driveshaft to the front differential.
2. If the driveshaft will slide up into itself, slide it up into itself, and then support it with a concrete block, etc. (when I first discovered this, it was a real "shazaam" moment)
    If the driveshaft will not slide into itself because, like me, you used the grease port to put too much grease into it, you will have to remove it completey (from the rear universtal joint)
3. Remove four bolts from flywheel cover
4. Bend plastic flywheel cover enough to wiggle it past the trans cooler lines, remove completely
4. Two bolts on starter. Don't drop the starter and break the wires.
5. Rotate starter enough to get at posts on top and remove the nuts holding all those little wires on. You'll need a deep socket.
6. After accidently grounding wrench on something metal, say a bad word when the sparks fly, then remember to unhook battery.
7. Finish removing little wires, don't lose the little nuts.
8. *foggy memory* Starter drops down when you get it vertical, rear part (flywheel gear) first.
9. Installation is "reverse of removel," including a moment of puzzlement over where that fourth driveshaft bolt is.
    Spend a moment staring at the block, where the starter bolts to it, wondering why every shop manual you have ever read mentions shims, yet you have never seen any. Feel around for invisible "shims" that may have fallen out.
10. After its all buttoned back up (remember: flywheel cover, THEN driveshaft), try to start truck
11. Spend a weepy minute after nothing works, then remember to hook the battery back up.
12. Start truck, turn it off, start it again, repeat until you get over the amazement, as if this has never happened before.
13. Drive home.
14. Halfway home turn around and go back to get the toolbox you forgot.
    All in all its the second easiest starter I've ever had to do, and with 2WD, it would be a joke. *remembers when cars had non-flexible metal flywheel covers*
Jeff 89 S-10 Blazer 4x4

Hmmm - I thought maybe the '91 was enough different to make it harder, but yours was the same as mine - except - was it a 4.3? I think my dearly beloved said his was actually harder than mine (his - 2.8, mine 4.3). Also I wonder if mine had an aftermarket starter that was just enough different in shape/size that it helped? I mean, I cussed a bit, and the wind kept blowing sand in my eyes, but it really wasn't a problem. I have very small hands, and I'm a whiz at those blacksmith puzzles <grin>, but even still...
It needs replacing again before I sell that one - when I get it out I'll compare it to some of the others we've got laying around and see.

Of course mine is a 4.3 *sniff*. There really isn't any other option.
    Seriously though, it took me whole months to get the Napa guy to stop asking me which engine I had.
Jeff

I'm afraid I'll never get to that point - we have two 4.3s, two 2.8s (John uses them for commuting to work - he's got a '78 3/4ton Chevy 4x4 pickup for when someone wants to play "mine's bigger" ;>) and one with a Camaro 3.something that's got a blown engine at the moment. The NAPA guys all try to stick each other with finding the parts I need, since occasionally I get the various specs balled up, especially if I'm picking up parts for several at once. Luckily I've had just about all their parts out at least once, or watched John (often we have two torn apart at once - tool fights!), so if what they give me doesn't look right I usually catch it. You'd think we were breeding Blazers (and the odd Jimmy) in the yard from the look of it...;>)
Finally had to have this done by a freind of mine in his garage. Replaced the starter and positive battery cable and it fires right up. Getting close to 240,000 miles and this thing runs great. I may get another one. Maybe I will go with at least a 95' model or go with a Jeep Cherokee instead. Not sure just yet.
Regards Michael Fell
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:42:51 GMT, mfell2112*nospam*@yahoo.com wrote:

I did just what you're thinking of doing. I had a 94 Jimmy, moved up to a 2000 S-10 ZR2 for the new year. I haven't looked back, this truck is 100x nicer than the old one, and I thought THAT one was nice compared to the Cherokees we looked at when looking for it. I've had a few repairs to make but they were gladly taken care of by the selling dealer, and even offered to look at other problems I might've found, if I had any, last time I called for an appointment.
From experience, I would say that it is your starter selenoid. You have to take the engine mount loose and jack the engine up to remove the starter.
Wildbill
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:07:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008 AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core 2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM) Geforce FX 5200 128MB Windows XP Home SP1 3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar WD1600BB 160GB Hard Drive .......and the list goes on.........