starting problems

1999 chevy s-10 2.2 4 cyl AOD transmission Just quit running at stop sign, towed it home .Seems to be firing alright cannot hear the fuel pump running when I turn on ignition. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated thanks hlb
Reply to
HL B123

First thing to check is the fuel pump relay. If you squirt a little fuel down the injector and it wants to start thats probably what it is.

For my 89 its located on the driver side fender well. Cost $10.00.

F.H.

On the 99 it will be in the underhood relay center along with the pump fuse. There is also a way to jumper power directly to the pump. I would do that first to see what happens.

The problem could be the pump fuse,relay,wiring or the pump itself. If it is the pump then you will also want to change the connector on the harness as well.

It is also possible that the crank sensor or cam sensor could have failed. If either one fails it will cause a no-start.

Reply to
Steve W.

I will be following up on these suggestions friday and saturday thanks for the responses hlb

Reply to
HL B123

Steve, you seem like you know these well. What would be your thoughts on this:

Same S-10 4 cyl. It sometimes hesitates and coughs on acceleration like the older engines with carburetors would do when the accelerator pump in the carb was bad. Runs like a dream on freeways, only problem is when I need sudden acceleration. TIA

Reply to
F.H.

When was the last injector cleaning? Tune up with GOOD plugs?

Last 2.2 in here that acted that way had a weak fuel pressure regulator and plugs with about 150K on them. I would check the fuel pressure under actual conditions, check the TPS for good tracking and run a cleaner through it.

Reply to
Steve W.

As an added item, this is the same one that just died? Likely you will find that the pump is bad and the low fuel pressure had been the problem. I would still run some cleaner through it though.

Reply to
Steve W.

Injector cleaned, new plugs (passed smog with low numbers). Haven't checked the regulator but it seems to get plenty of fuel at high RPM's.

Turns out the counter guy at the local Auto Zone is an S-10 junkie. He suggested the TPS also. Thanks.

Reply to
F.H.