steering column loose in 99 Z71?

hey all
still working out the kinks in a 99 z71 i just bought, the steering column feels like it has a litte up/down play in it. Is this normal? how can i
tighten it? I've never dealt with a new one, the old ones just had the 2-3 bolts you could tighten in them
thanks! TB
Trailblazer wrote:

On these newer trucks, if you are feeling a very small bit of play at the steering wheel, it often is as simple as a bearing and spring kit that needs to be replaced. We don't see many/if any problems with the actual tilt section of the newer columns. But there was an issue with the bearings inside the column.
Ian
Thanks for the input; I called a local GMC dealer and he said there are two bearings on either end of the shaft in the steering column, he told me it would probably be about 270 to break the column down and replace it. Does this sound about right to you?
thanks for the help TB

Trailblazer wrote:

Yes, and for that money I wouldn't bother fixing it, unless you learn how to do it yourself. There certainly is no safety issue with the play....just annoying.
Ian

The steering column in my 99' K1500 exhibits a little up and down movement in it also. It's not noticeable most of the time or I've gotten used to it. I've been told the same thing that Ian just posted. That there is a bearing inside the column that may need to be serviced.
Brian