Steering Gear - Intermediate Shaft

Threaded View
Greetings,

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD crewcab with the diesel and Allison tranny and
recently bagan to notice some clicking in the steering linkage when making
slow, sharp turns (like in navigating in and around a parking lot).  I took
the truck to my local dealer and after looking at it they told me it was the
intermediate shaft in the steering.  They are ordering the part (about 1-2
weeks) and they are covering the repair under warranty so the only thing I'm
out is a day in the shop - no biggie.

My questions are - is this a common problem, and will the replacement part
truly fix the issue without me having to have it done all over again in
another 15,000 miles?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers - Jonathan
--
Jonathan A. Race
Lieutenant, EMS Supervisor

Very common problem, and it's been around ever since the new style
trucks were built.  I'm surprised that they are ordering a new shaft, maybe
there is a different procedure on the 2004 trucks, but usually GM just
wants us to re-grease the slip yoke section of the shaft.  I'd be
surprised if the new shaft fixes the problem permanently, unless they
have actually decided to re-design the shaft properly instead of just
wanting to re-grease it every year.

Ian

Re: Steering Gear - Intermediate Shaft
Are we talking about a shaft that runs from the steering column to the
steering gear box or part of the linkage that physically pushes the fronts
wheels from side to side?  Please describe how to grease the slip-yoke - is
there a zerk fitting or something that I can do myself when I change my oil
and where it is exactly located.  I hit all the zerks I can find on the
steering components, etc. when I change the oil as part of the routine
self-maintenance every 5000 miles, but maybe I'm missing one (or two).

Thanks for your time.

Cheers - Jonathan
--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Jonathan A. Race

It's the shaft that runs from your steering column to the box. It
has an inner and outer section, inner section slides within the
outer section.  You pull the shaft out, and using a special kit
that GM has, you force grease into the two sections of the
shaft.  You need a press to do this properly.  I wouldn't worry
too much about it if your are getting a new shaft.

Ian

Re: Steering Gear - Intermediate Shaft
They dealer lubed the steering shaft on my 2000 GMC Sierra SLE at around
20000 km. At about 40000 km or less it started acting up again. They
replaced the intermediate steering shaft and it has been quiet ever since.
69000 kms on the clock now.

-Glenn

Re: Steering Gear - Intermediate Shaft
There is a TSB with a new design for the shaft. That's probably what they
ordered.

JJ

Re: Steering Gear - Intermediate Shaft
a link:
http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.php?target=product&action=view&product_id=16259&category_id=282

Re: Steering Gear - Intermediate Shaft

maybe

Ian,
Does this apply to the '99 new body style 1500's? My intermediate shaft
doesn't appear to have a slip joint. It looks solid from the column to the
u-joint with accordian-like crush areas at each end.

Re: Steering Gear - Intermediate Shaft

Yes, it applies.  Here is the relevent bulletin:

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate
the Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003G - (Oct 22, 2004)
Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate
the Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2003 GMC Sierra

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick
Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer / TrailBlazer EXT, GMC Envoy / Envoy XL /
Envoy XUV or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A for
Mid-Size Utilities.

This bulletin is being revised to notify dealers that it is acceptable to
service the intermediate shaft with Lubrication Kit P/N 26098419 until
sufficient inventory of the replacement intermediate shaft part numbers
become available from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO).
Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003F (Section 02 --
Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood
that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more
noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction
Important:

  a.. It is critical that when using Lubrication Kit P/N 26098419 to service
the intermediate shaft that ALL the service steps below are followed
completely.
  b.. Failure to follow the service procedure below will result in a repeat
repair.
  c.. DO NOT attempt to lubricate the intermediate shaft with the shaft
partially mounted in the vehicle.
  d.. The intermediate shaft MUST be cycled an adequate number of times
obtain the proper grease displacement.

Remove the intermediate shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the
intermediate shaft with a Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication
Kit, P/N 26098419. Follow the service procedure below.

Ian

Site Timeline