Steering is sloppy

I just had an alignment done on my 1985 S10 chevy blazer which included replacing ball joints and front axles ( don't ask what it cost )
Anyway, the mechanic said my steering box was loose but it wouldn't effect
the alignment.
How hard is it to replace a steering gear box and what should the labor cost be? Online the price of the box is around $200 from what I found.

Was the Pitman arm, idler arm and steering knuckle and tie rod ends checked/replaced also?

I know he said the tie -rods were good, so he didn't replace anything but the two axles and the lower ball joints, plus I added some new shocks to the bill.

It's not that hard to do. You will, however, need to realign and sure the steering wheel is centered.