Steering Problem

Recently I noticed a problem with my `97 Z71.When I take a curve,and put some pressure on the steering,about1/4-1/2 turn,it feels like the front tires are on ice.
There is absolutely no resistance in that spot. I maybe wrong,but I was thinking something with the steering gear itself. It`s gonna be a spendy fix,isn`t it? Any ideas?
1/4 Mile Junkies
INVESTIGATION: Campaign Number: UnKnown
Component: Steering
Details: INVESTIGATION REGARDING ERRATIC POWER STEERING ASSIST WHILE DRIV
NHTSA: EA99011 Open Date: 99/05/19 Close Date: 01/02/20 MCS Check Date: 12/29/2003
The above was found on www.mycarstats.com for a 99 Yukon It doesn't say which model years are under investigation.

(P.S. I think that recently I heard on the news that they have a recall starting regarding a similar issue. I don't recall wether it was GM trucks, cars or otherwise.)

Bill,
Put the front end up on jackstands, lock the steering wheel, and try to move the wheels manually, left and right. If it moves, track the movement to the worn fron-end compenent.
Doc

Doc, I`m try that right now. Also,is there a good site to check for recalls?
1/4 Mile Junkies
Doc, I just did what you said,and maybe I get a 1/16 in. movement. Probably not even that much. Checked all the front end parts,and nothing seems to be moving at all. So now what?
1/4 Mile Junkies

Hmmmmm. If a PS pump is low on fluid (REALLY low) going around tight bends can have the pump sucking air and you'd feel excessive resistance (complete loss of power steering) until you straightened out. But, you have zero resistance eh?
1/16" is nowehere near enough to cause an "icy sensation/"
What kind of shape are the front shocks in?
Doc
Bill, Can you do it again, but this time pre-position the steering wheel to the position where it feels 'icy'? Or did you already do it that way? If there is a bad-spot you'd need to match up with it to see the associated movement, and it may take more force than you can easily apply. Also, you might try unlocking the steering and manually steering it via the wheels. If you feel a loose spot in the process... Elliott
Bill S wrote:

The fluid is full,and I`ve done it with the steering locked,and unlocked. All the front-end parts seem very tight. I have have to get this fixed ASAP,cuz I will be pulling me race car very soon.
1/4 Mile Junkies
"Bill S" wrote

It's most likely the EVO sensor, pretty common problem on these trucks in that year. The EVO sensor sits at the base of the steering column inside the passenger compartment. It's not that big of job to replace it.
Here's a bit of the bulletin that pertains to the problem:
REDUCED STEERING EFFORT (DIAGNOSE/REPLACE STEERING #86-32-06 - (09/23/1998) SUBJECT: REDUCED STEERING EFFORT (DIAGNOSE/REPLACE STEERING WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AND BEARING ASSEMBLY)
MODELS: 1997-98 CHEVROLET AND GMC C/K, M/L AND G-VAN WITH EVO (ELECTRONIC VARIABLE ORIFICE)
CONDITION:
SOME OWNERS MAY COMMENT ABOUT REDUCED STEERING EFFORT WHILE DRIVING. THIS REDUCED STEERING EFFORT MAY CHANGE BACK TO THE ORIGINAL EFFORT INTERMITTENTLY DURING DRIVING OR REMAIN UNTIL THE NEXT KEY OFF-ON CYCLE. THESE SLIGHT CHANGES IN STEERING EFFORT DO NOT AFFECT THE CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE, BUT MAY ALERT THE DRIVER THAT THE SYSTEM IS NOT OPERATING AS INTENDED.
Ian

(09/23/1998)
right to say it was the EVO sensor back then. I had the dealer replace it because I was afraid I might activate the air bag. Anyway I had replaced inner tie rod ends and had two allignments trying to fix the problem before I took Ian's advice. Thank again,Rob