steering wheel lose on 88 S15 Jimmy

I have a 88 S15 Jimmy 2WD

The steering wheel is really lose where it moves up and down and left and right a lot. I am not driving it of course due to this. I have looked in the CHILTON book and also looked around the steering column but cant figure out how or what to take apart to tighten this up. Can anyone give me a clue as to what is wrong and how to fix it? It is a tilt wheel if that matters as well.

TIA, Kevin

Reply to
cybercoaster

Actually its not the whole column but just the part that tilts - it goes left and right and up and down. Cant figure out how to get to it to tighten it up.

Reply to
cybercoaster

"cybercoaster" wrote

Do fix it properly, you need to dis-assemble the column right down past the tilt section. There are 4 bolts down there that always come loose, they need to be tightened up (preferably with some loctite).

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Been there, done that, It's caused by grabbing the wheel to boost yourself into the truck. There are "J" bolts that hold the steering wheel tilting hub ( inc. turnsignal, ign, shifter) on to the column and you have torn the "J" bolt locking slots out of the top of the column tube.

The steering wheel, hub, and column must be removed and the column replaced (if you can find one)or, as I did, repaired by welding new sections in to renew the "J" bolt slots.

Once you have completed this repair you will know better than to ever use the steering wheel as a vehicle entry boost handle again. Spud

Reply to
Spud

"Spud" wrote

What you describe "might" be what happened to you, but all the columns I've ever seen that are loose....are loose because of the four bolts at the base of the column. They loosen up and back out. There is no need for any "welding", just get down to the bolts, remove them, clean the threads and apply loctite and re-install.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

and don't forget to TAPE your Torx driver to the extension !!!!!!!!

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I've seen it done before. I'd say the OP should get a steering wheel puller and a dent puller. One is obvious, the other there is *some* portion that needs to get pulled where a dent puller & a screw get it out nicely. *I* didn't pull this column, but it was roughly described to me how to do it. I'd say just start takin it apart - a good learning experience.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

"KJ" wrote

Well, I'll defer to your steering column experience, there KJ.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Leave the dent puller at the body shop, only a theif would go anywhere near a steering column with one. Like everyone says, 4 loose bolts are the problem. It's an easy job once you've done a few... if you have the right tools. Little things like a lock plate compressor make the job a hell of a lot easier. Bob

Reply to
Bob

lol All I know is it was an '87 blazer. He bought a steering wheel puller & jerry rigged whatever with that dent puller. IMHO, the OP should be able to fix this if he just gets in there. He has another vehicle obviously, so he has the time to experiment. I thought I made it obvious that I don't know the specifics, just that a home mechanic can do it.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

BTW by "dent puller" I mean a slide hammer. Those improper terms that you grow up with are hard to re-learn...

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Just did one in a '89 S blazer. Yeah the 4 bolts where loose, my fatso brother hauls himself in via the wheel. It was a tilt wheel and the hardest part was pulling out the pins that the wheel tilts on as you need to remove that section to access the bolts. Shop manual shows a puller, I used a hardened screw, washers and a socket that fit over the pins to make a puller. It's only machine screw threads in the hardened pins so be careful and gentle so ya don't snap them off. A non tilt colum would be a breeze compaired to the tilt.

Reply to
Repairman

I'm guessing he used the dent puller to remove the pivot bushings.

The correct tool (puller) probably sells for < $15.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

The non-tilt columns don't loosen up like the tilt columns do.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

there's a trick little puller tool to used to get into the tilt system...my old boss gave me his extra one but have never needed to use it

Reply to
ken

I got it taken care of. And yes, I have another vehicle. A new Avalanche (without the body hardware). I drive the old truck in bad weather etc...

Used a compression tool and sterring wheel puller. The only thing is I have to take it back apart since I didnt get the turn signal correct to change my headlight high beam. DOH! I also replaced the ignition switch while I was in there since it was hard to work sometimes, getting wore down to much.

Thanks for all your help!

(and to one of the previous posters, no, I dont use the steering wheel to pull myself into the truck!)

Reply to
cybercoaster

Is that to just access the top 2? I never could figure how to get to those. I got the bottom 2 tight and now it's as good as new. I guess if it happens again, I will try and figure out how to get to the top 2 screws. Mine is a tilt wheel.

Reply to
cybercoaster

Then you can send it me? :)

Reply to
cybercoaster

Try this link for a detailed expalnation of this procedure.

Mesinpah

"Mesinpah" wrote

That's an excellent link. I was planning to do something similar, but why bother, that fellow has done a good job.

Keep track of that link guys, as this question seems to come up once or twice every couple of months.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai