strange sound on 98Jimmy

I'd really appreciate if someone can give me any advice on the strange grinding/rattling sound I'm getting on my 98 Jimmy, 118000kms/auto trans. This grinding/rattling sound occurs when I'm driving and the transmission shift from 2nd to 3rd. It also can be heard but not as loud as I'm gently pressing the gas pedal while doing around 60-70km/h. If I gently drive off and slowly speed up there is no noise as the transmission shifts up. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Sam

Is it a 4x4? Could be the transfer case chain getting very loose.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Reply to
Sam

You may have what was a common occurrence with these transfer cases. The snap ring on the rear output shaft would break, which allows the entire output shaft and internal components to move enough that the drivetrain in the t/case jumps out of engagement momentarily. Usually happened when you put a good load on it (like accelerating).

That's one thing I would check out. If you catch it early, you can simply install a new snap ring and away you go. If you keep driving it while it makes that noise, you are simply destroying components in the t/case.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Sam

You would remove the rear driveshaft, remove the four bolts that hold the rear extension housing on, and you should see the snap ring, or where it's supposed to be. It sits in a groove on the output shaft on the rear side of the big roller bearing that supports the output shaft.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai