Stuck in 4wd

I have a 99 Z-71 LT automatic with the fully elctronic transfer case controlled by the push buttons. I am stuck in 4wd, and I have rocked, pushed buttons, shifted and pushed buttons, and otherwise drove my self crazy for several days, but still in 4wd. PLEASE HELP.

Reply to
jeremytn86

Well, if you want to be able to diagnose it without a scan tool (which is quite difficult), we would need more info. When you say "I am stuck in

4wd", what exactly does that mean? Does it mean that the dash switch 4h light is "lit" and when you push any other position, the other position light flashes but the shift is not completed and then it simply goes back to the 4hi light on? Is the front diff locked? (should be able to tell simply by how the truck feels when turning, ie: is it crowhopping?).

Even with this info, it's quite difficult for the average DIY'er to diagnose these auto t/cases without a scan tool and some knowledge of how the system works.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

THere are 17 different scan codes listed for it. Automatic 4x4 looks good in theory when it is new but can be a pain in the butt to repair on your own when it gets old and fails.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I don't disagree with you on this point. If I was to buy a GM truck, I'd opt for the manual shift version of the t/case, which is still available. But for most of the rich city people, they prefer the button shift, auto t/case's.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

No arguement there. I will only buy a manual one myself too. I think GM pushs automatic and push button 4x4 for sales to make 4x4 as much of a no brainer as possible for those that cannot figure out or get a

4x4 otherwise. Getting hard to find manual ones on lots.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan