Suburban '00 leaking cold air by passenger far right wall

I have a 2000 Suburban and have a problem that we see on long winter trips at highway speeds. The heat works fine and blows hot everywhere it is supposed to, but there is a major leak of cold air that is leaking into the lower potion of the dashboard/kick panel on the far right side of the car on the passenger side.

The heat comes out of a duct on the inside (left) side of the passenger's feet. At first I though my wife was imply having one of her "cold" issues but when we switched drivers and got moving I found that there was indeed a problem. I can not locate how or where it is getting in. I shoved a blanket up inot the underside of the dashboard to try and cut down on as much of the air.windflow as I could, and it hlped to some extent, but it was still cold.

I took it to the dealer this past week and was told there is nothing wrong, and that the air intake in on the top in the cowl. I just looked at the truck again and it sure looks like there is a motor down on the far right side, up againt the outside of the right fender. I know GM has liked to draw fresh air in at this location in the past.

I seem to hear a diffeence between re-circulatre and fresh air. Maybe the damper is moving but somehow letting fresh air inside no matter what.

Since the dealer had no answer and basically looked at me like I was an idiot, I gifured there might be an enlighten person that has seen this problem or may have had the dis-pleasure of tearing out the dshboard and remembers seeing an air intake on the far right side of th passenger area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
sharty

I had a 1997 and a 2001 truck that had the same problem it would freeze my wifes feet so the solution on both was to wedge a towel in that space above your feet and you will now have warm feet

Reply to
Chad

That's a pretty funky solution...

Reply to
Advocate

Actually there is a solution. GM had a issue with two pieces of sheet metal not fitting together correctly for a few years. Any good GM dealer should have a bulletin on this and I think the only solution it to bend the two together so there is no gap, which will mean they will have to either put some kind of rubber seal in between the pieces or hit it very hard with a hammer. I watched a dealer hit a new truck (not mine) when this first was discovered with a hammer and thought he was going to wreck something but it took care of the problem.

Reply to
Hot Rod