suburban conversion

I was in need of some information I am interested in converting an older suburban into a crew cab shortbox, I know I can buy a crew cab truck but I want to build a inexpensive bush truck I need something I can haul 4 people comfortably plus haul an ATV and gear in the back. any info will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
jlillies

Are you wanting to close off the cab, so that there's a wall behind the rear passengers? If so, that's a hell of a lot of body work. I've seen weird and crazy things done that are similar.

If you don't care about that, then just sawzall off the back as needed, maybe weld in some tubing for support, and call it done. It'd look ghetto as all get-out though.

Are we talking the 73-91 body style? Do you currently have a Sub? If so, and it's mechanically in good shape, you may be able to put a crew cab pickup cab on there. I know a short cab will fit on a Blazer frame pretty easily--you only really need to add a cross-member for the rear cab mounts.

I wouldn't even bother with a factory-style bed. Make up a cheap utility bed, it'd probably be better for ATV's and stuff like that anyway.

You may want to check out coloradok5.com. There's all kinds of custom stuff done on there, and it'd be the best place to ask, and possibly see pics of someone doing something similar.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Be careful there Jon, The FS Blazer wheelbase is about 6 inches shorter than the shortbox pickup.

Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

They make one at the factory nowadays - Avalanche.

Reply to
syoung

acrewcabpickupcabon there. I know a shortcabwill fit on a Blazer

yes I would close off the cab, body work is not an issue I have a whole family of auto body mechanics. I do not currently have a sub but I was looking for something in the early to mid 80s I want to stay away from all the electronics. this will be strictly a licenseable bush truck.

Reply to
jlillies

The cheapest Avalanche I have found used in Manitoba was around 20 grand alot of money to just run through the bush and mud and every time I tear the mirrors off it would cost me 500bucks I already own a

05 GM Z71 crew cab to nice and way to expensive to abuse.
Reply to
jlillies

Yeah, that's kinda the point. They nickname 'em "Trazers". Truck + Blazer.

The idea is to have the short Blazer wheelbase with a small cab and build a small utility bed. They're mainly built by the off road guys. Some folks remove a section of a short bed and weld it back together for a super-short pickup. I like them a lot. But I'm instead going to try for the half-cab conversion that closes off the back of my K5's cab. Same look, except for there's no gap between bed and body since it's all one piece.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

I assume you already have the old Suburban.

If you cut off the cab in back of the second row of seats, are there still enough bolts to attach the body to the frame? And I would guess that some additional stiffening would be necessary in the new cab area.

As for the box, were you thinking of a short-bed box from a salvaged pickup?

Or, were you going to just open the top of the suburban like a tin of sardines and remove the rear doors? You would definitely have to reinforce the rear sides but would still have the option of the 3rd row seating.

Reply to
Hinkle

I know exactly what you're talking about.

The bottom piece is a formed sheet metal bulkhead that bolts in and seals the bed up to the bed rails. Above that is a fiberglass window frame that goes down to the bed rails, and accepts a standard pickup rear window, which also bolts in where the standard Blazer fiberglass top meets the back of the cab.

There was a company that made them, that is out of business now (afaik). I'd kill to get my hands on one of those kits.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens