Suburban FYI: Steel Brake Lines Rusting Out

FWIW, I just discovered that my '98 Suburban's steel rear brake lines are just about rusted through where they cross the axle.
You might want to check yours.
Seems like a *really* nasty failure mode to me: 40+ mph into the rear end of some poor guy who is stopped for a traffic light....
--
PeteCresswell

On 8/18/2010 11:13 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

You live up North? Of drive on the beach much?
Per bilz2765:

No and no....
Southeastern Penna.
But I think you're on the right track.
Guy that works on our cars says they have been seeing a lot of this last year or two.
Something about the state using brine instead of salt on the roads.
--
PeteCresswell

I think it's Magnesium Chloride brine and pellets that are being used. You'll see the greenish color of it in the center line slush. It's twice as deadly to metal than salt. I have already replaced my rear A/C lines and trans cooler lines in my '99 Yukon. Just waiting for something else to corrode and pop.