Suburban Tapping when cold

99 GMC Suburban just turned 100,000. When it is cold it makes a fairly distinct tapping noise when first started. The sound increases/decreases in concert with engine speed, and stops after about 30 seconds. It only happens
the first time the truck is started each day.
I took it to the dealer and they started with "maybe it is time for a new truck." They said they put something in to clean carbon deposits, but suggested I hold off on needed service (some gasket replacements and a brake job) until they could see if the truck is "worth fixing."
The exterior and interior are in great shape. I've had it since it had 9 miles, changed the oil every 3,000 miles and it's lived in a garage all its life. It rides fine, and gets up to highway speed with little effort. I was getting a little pinging last summer and changed to higer octane gas (85 octane I think).
What is up with this? Why would the dealer suggest that it is not worth fixing (or may need a new engine)? They muttered something about a broken "wrist joint.?"
Thanks!
Gary
i just bought a 98 burban for 10k and if i needed a new engine / transmission it would be lot cheaper than a new or newer burban. i would not be afraid to put 4k into this vehicle, expecially when looking at new prices.

Gary wrote:

To me, the first thing to do would be to dump the dealer. Sounds like maybe your hydraulic lifters are at a point where they need adjustment at best, replacement at worst. Possibly intake manifold gasket replacement time too.

in
happens
brake
This sounds very much like the notorious GM piston slap issue. GM says it is harmless, but opinions vary. As far as your dealer is concerned, I'd get the opinion of a mechanic you can trust. H
If it's a very light tapping/clicking it may be lifters. If so....what kind of oil and filter are you using? If you have a Fram filter or Penzoil filter quit using them they are junque. Use a Wix Gold (NAPA Gold) or AC/Delco. Also make sure you use 5w-30 not 10-30, or 5-40 or 10-40. These others have too many VI addititives and cause piston ring fouling and don't flow fast enough. Last the small block also has had a habit of maiking a slight piston slap for as many years as I"ve been exposed to them. Some worse than others but it is a commin thing and if it goes away quickly nothing to worry about. Larry

I had a 97` Z71 with the same problem. Mine started doing it at about 50,000 and I sold it with 90,000 on it.(bought a bigger truck)It`s just piston slap when it`s cold. No big deal. So don`t worrry about it.
Thanks Guys -- I thought it was BS on the part of the dealer, but it is nice to have that confirmed by those who know.
I'd certainly drop a new engine in it rather than buy a new truck, but I'd not expect to have to do that at 100k.
Gary

"Gary" wrote: > Thanks Guys -- I thought it was BS on the part of the dealer, > but it is nice > to have that confirmed by those who know. > > I'd certainly drop a new engine in it rather than buy a new > truck, but I'd > not expect to have to do that at 100k. > > Gary >
> > > 99 GMC Suburban just turned 100,000. When it is cold it > makes a fairly > > distinct tapping noise when first started. The sound > increases/decreases > > in concert with engine speed, and stops after about 30 > seconds. It only > > happens the first time the truck is started each day. > > > > I took it to the dealer and they started with "maybe it is > time for a new > > truck." They said they put something in to clean carbon > deposits, but > > suggested I hold off on needed service (some gasket > replacements and a > > brake job) until they could see if the truck is "worth > fixing." > > > > The exterior and interior are in great shape. I've had it > since it had 9 > > miles, changed the oil every 3,000 miles and it's lived in a > garage all > > its life. It rides fine, and gets up to highway speed with > little effort. > > I was getting a little pinging last summer and changed to > higer octane gas > > (85 octane I think). > > > > What is up with this? Why would the dealer suggest that it > is not worth > > fixing (or may need a new engine)? They muttered something > about a broken > > "wrist joint.?" > > > > Thanks! > > > > Gary > >
let her knaw until you hear that bottom end knocking.