Suburban transmission problems

I am posting this question for a friend. He has a 99 Suburban SLE with 70,000 miles on a 350 engine. The transmission lost reverse,

2nd, and overdrive. The dealer replaced the transmission at a cost of $2400. We were just curious if transmission problems were common with this year and model. Anyone else have similar problems? Seems like not many miles to replace a whole tranny. Thanks for any info.
Reply to
Bamafan

"Bamafan" sez:

Sounds like it puked the sun reaction shell, a rather notoriously cheap-shit spin welded component that blows up frequently by having the splined section cracking and breaking off the shell. I've even seen posts here where the newer '01/'02 units have failed in the same way. You'd think GM engineers would have learned a thing or two in the last 7-8+ years of production, eh?

And most likely used the same cheap-ship part that blew in the first place. Many independent shops will rebuild the tranny with "hardened" components to overcome the TCC valve body defect and sun shell weaknesses of the 4L60E.

Very common, along with intake manifold gasket failures that weep coolant (to the outside if you're lucky, if to the inside, it'll lunch the engine), brake pads being replaced every 20k or so miles, AC compressor failures (always run the rear with the front if you have rear air), circuit board failure on the windshield wiper control box (they have a "special" warranty on those if you have the GM letter), the outside rear-view mirror controller switch shorting out and setting the driver's door panel on fire (they issued a recent recall on that), the Eaton limited-slip differential grenading itself into little itty bitty bits and the fuel pump module taking a dump without warning and needing a $600 replacement (always keep the tank at least 1/4+ full so the fuel cools the module, they die sooner when they get hot often). Its all a part of the Suburban ownership experience ...

My transmission guy *loves* the GM 4L60E since fixing them is his biggest gravy train and source of steady work.

Tell your bud that misery loves company and he/she has lots of company. My '97 Burb is my first and last GM vehicle. I'm just sittin' here waiting for the Toyota Tundra Crew Cab to hit the lots.

VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Boy, me too!

Toyota doesn't have any problems. I can't wait to sell my K2500 HD 6.5 TD and get my new Toyota to haul around my 30' tandem axle, dual wheel, gooseneck trailer and load up my 9 ton JD600 backhoe on it and pull it across the state to do some serious work.

Those Toyota boys can really make a truck! That's why they're always hauling the heavy equipment with them!

I had a pair of boots once that the laces kept on breaking. Last pair of boots I will EVER have. Sandals is the only way for me, now.(sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm).

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

"Snowman" sez:

Toyota doesn't have any problems.

Simply amazing, I must have hit a proletariat flotsam nerve there.

You won't be doing any of that with a 1/2 ton either cuz it would be just about as inadvisable as using a 1 ton diesel dually to haul the kids around town, eh dipshit?

VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Yes, a nerve (just a regular one) was definately hit on that one for many reasons.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

RE/

Just out of cynical curiosity, does anybody know if they've remedied the valve body problem that required me to have my 98's bored out and sleeved to keep it from failing every 30k?

----------------------- PeteCresswell

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

nope