Suggestions needed for replacing antenna on a 97 Jimmy

Several times now I have had my antenna replaced at the dealership. For some reason the AM stations quit coming in good. Replacing antenna always worked, for a while anyways. What procedure do I follow to replace, and
any ideas on why it keeps going bad.
Thanks, Mr Ranger