Super Tech Motor Oil?

Any opinions on how good in may be?I know the saying is you pay for the quality you get.The Super Tech at WalMart is about the cheapest on the market.With fuel being so expensive and oil prices being on the rise.I
was wondering if someone on here has been useing it long enough long term,to know if it was satisfactory.Don't want to goop up my new engine.Thanks For all opinions!Bobby
I have never had any problems with their oil, I use 10w40 in my car, and if you look in the oil filter section super tech has filters for around 1.97 usually, good place to save some money.

Greetings,
As a general rule, the cheaper oils have a lesser quantity of additives and in some cases may not have specific components of the additive package that may go into a "better" oil. However, for normal driving not in extreme environmental conditions, I feel that you will still get very good service from almost all brands of dino oil provided you check it, top it off and change it religiously.
On the other hand, cheap oil filters are a very BAD place to save money. While oils may have to meet API standards to be certified, filters have no standardization or regulation whatsoever. There have been some direct comparisons between oil filters over the years and the differences between the good and bad ones can be pretty drastic. Many of the comparisons I've read have always placed Purolater filters at or near the top of the list for good filters, so I use them exclusively on our vehicles - they are reasonably priced and readily available near where I live. I personally avoid Fram products simply for their history, and I understand that Wal-Mart's Super Tech filters are Fram products. My second choice to use would be Delco, but only the local Chevy dealer near me carries them and their prices aren't as competative as the Advance Auto Parts where I get the Purolaters.
Cheers - Jonathan

and if

1.97
The ST oil is Valvoline in a different package. Nothing different in the additives just packaged for WM. Wix, NAPA Gold (Wix), and Purolator are all top of the line filters, The Mobil one filters are also real good but not low priced.
-
SNIP

What's the source of this info?

the
From a person who handles the incoming shipments of the parts into the WM Distribution center, It is sourced from Valvoline. The boxes carry Valvoline part codes. The older oil was Havoline supplied.
On the ST Filters the parts are sourced from Fram, It was part of the deal between Fram and them, they reduced the price on the ST filters IF WM carried the rest of the line.
-
"Jonathan" wrote:

package
Not true, If the oil is rated SL or SM, it is the same. Some may go beyond that a bit but other than that yo are largely paying for the name. I believe Havoline makes WalMart oil but I am not 100% sure.
STUPID place to save some money, you mean...
"burntkat" wrote:

Nothing wrong with Walmart oil. the stupid part is think sometimes that you have to have a expensive brand name for it to work right. I recently switch to Super Tech SYN in a vehcial that I have been using a different SYN in since it was new (at about 5,000 miles) and I can see no different so far between it and the stuff costing nearly twice as much.
I don't think he's referring to the oil, but rather adding in his two cents worth and agreeing with what I said about cheap oil FILTERS being a bad place to save a few bucks in the post he's replying to.
Cheers - Jonathan

I was referring to the filter. ;)

Label on the bottle says APA certified oil, in it goes. Use it in my GF's car and my last 2 beater cars and my current beater and no problem with sludge or internal engine failure with at least 200k of use experience. I don't use cheap filters, only Purolator Pure 1 or Napa Golds and everything's on a 5k change cycle. My Yukon's on Mobil 1 so that's a different story.
--
John
Good advice on the 10/40, SnoMan.

-

the
Last time I checked it was made by Valvoline for WM. Usually good oil. The ST Filters are Fram made.
-

Are you sure about that last part? I thought the filters were made by Champion Labs.
Being the odd-man-out here, I've never been a fan of Valvoline. Bought the wheel bearing grease many yrs ago, and was very disappointed when changing it roughly 25,000 miles later. It was partly dry and clumpy. That's the only wheel grease I've ever had this problem with--maybe it's better now, don't know as I haven't used it since.
(BTW... bearings weren't over tightened) GC
Well the research I've read so far is the oil is processed through Pennzoil-Ouaker State.The filters too I assume.Thanks for all the opinions!I am going to use it on my next change.So far I've been using the filters for years and have had no problems with them. Bobby
that right there tells me why I will never use it. Sorry, NOT a fan of Pennzoil after having a Lincoln Continental's motor seize while using the stuff and the warranty claim being denied specifically because of the oil used <back about 1981>