supercharger on 350 4x4

Page 2 of 3

2 stroke diesels have blowers because they simply won't run w/o out forced induction... they don't use the bottom of the piston to push the air charge into the cylinder.
-Bret
Word....
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10

not directly, that was n response 2 Big Al
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10

I confer, turbos r always going out on semi tractors
--
Mad Dog
"Refinish King" < snipped-for-privacy@mindyourbusiness.com> wrote in message
My future plan also include a 6-71 Detroit roots blower for my 454.

It wouldn't be feasible!
The HP created would take about 85% to drive it.
Refinish King

Please 'splain more. You're saying.......... say the blower adds 100 hp, it'll take 85hp to turn it. I don't think so.

Try a 6 71 GMC and watch what happens!
Refinish King

I'm don't follow. I've seen lots of detroits run including 6-71's, on our water dyno.

That's just it:
Big, gigantic tractor diesels. Not a class C Cummins, a power stroke or a Chevrolet 6.5.
Try that with a small displacement motor, watch what happens.
The B&M and other blowers available for making factory cars perform better, have less boost and are internally overdriven.
Refinish King

So that's why all the AA/FD cars have belt driven GMC type blowers. So they can't make much horsepower.
Got it.
Al
They run on a totally different principal:
If you pitted with them for 7 or 8 years, and were allowed to stand at the tree at Englishtown every week for those years.You'd know what you're talking about too.
They run 13 to 1 compression in those dragsters and funny cars, and the motors without blowers make close to 3,000 horsepower, for a grand total of about 5,000 with the blower. If they were running gasoline, they wouldn't touch the 1,000 HP mark.
Refinish King

King, I'm not trying to disrespect you at all, but detroit blowers are internally overdriven, from 1.7 to 2.6 depending on the original application, N/A or turbocharged etc. And a 6-71 motor is only 426CID (71CI per hole X 6 holes) Not at all a big gigantic beast you're picturing. Sounds kinda perfect for a 454-500CI Chevy big block to me or SBC for that matter. I also never said I was burning gasoline.

My mistake then!
Sorry!
Refinish King

I still want to know what you were leading to, maybe it's something I've never thought about. Or don't know. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible from different sources.

A truck/tractor diesel:
Has about a 5 or more inch bore, and a long stroke, the smaller passenger truck diesels have no more than a 4.5" bore, and a somewhat shorter stroke.
The heads on the commercial diesels have close to 2.75 inch valves, the passenger diesels maybe 2.2 inch. totally different flow characteristics, and boost pressure to compression ratio.
On a passenger diesel, you'd need in the neighbor hood of 15 psi boost, to start to see a really noticeable increase in power.
Refinish King

ok so I did a little reading in the 6-71 service manual at work today. 6-71- Bore 4.25" Stroke 5" Obviously no intake valves as it's a 2 stroke. So how would it be detrimental, taking a blower off a 6-71 and supercharging a BBC? Of course after changing out the bearings to sealed ball bearings.