survey: source of metal on oil drain magnet ???

A buddy of mine performed a routine oil change on his 98 k1500 5.7 w/117k miles. He reports metal on the magnet for the first time. Tiny pieces of iron all standing at attention. The oil went into a closed tub uninspected.

No other symptoms..knocking etc. Oil pressure at startup about 40....lowers to 25 at hot idle.

Based on the your experience, any thoughts on the source? no wise ass remarks like, from the engine etc.

Thanks.

Reply to
NewsSkimmer

Depending on the size of filings it could just be normal wear from cylinders and rings or some left over residue from machining when the motor was built. Bearing materail is not generally magnetic.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Timing chain, valve train wear. Just noticed a little on my '99 Yuk 5.7

Reply to
Repairman

Per NewsSkimmer:

I always assumed it was normal wear.

I've had about the same number/size/shape on my drain plug with every oil change since day 1.

VORTEC 5.7, 145,000 miles.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)