Suspension lift question

Hello all, I'm considering on gettting 7" suspension lift for my '03 silverado ext. cab (2wd). I've had people told me that doing this can put a lot of strain on the tranny since the drive shaft will be at a steeper angle. One of my co-workers had it done on his silverado and his tranny went out after 30k miles but it could've been something else that caused it to go out. Has anyone had any problems after raising a truck?...thaks in advance for your input

Joe

Reply to
Joe L.

The problem is your truck will be a disgrace. If you get it done by a reputable driveline/lift company than you should have no problems bringing shame upon your family's name and being the bane of all Chevy owners.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Ya it's a 2wd to start with...... as was kindly pointed out. But your problem shouldn't be drive line angle. Likely cause is not lowering the gear ratio in the rear diff. If you lift it, you'll undoubtedly put bigger tires on 'er. With 7" of lift you're probably into a 35-38" tire. IF you leave the stock ratio in the diff(s) and turn that size tire, you'll smoke your tranny in no time flat. I've got 42" swampers on my rig with 4.56:1 in the diffs and that's still a bit high. I should get 4.88's or 5.13's when I get 44's. You see where this is leading? Modifying 1 thing, effects a number of other things, and that all costs $$$$. And it'll cost you WAY more if you don't fix it up right the first time.

Reply to
Demon
7" is a bit steep for a 2wd w/o using a constant velocity driveshaft, you should shim the rear axle to correct the pinion angle if you want the tailshaft bushing to survive with a 7"lift. Lifted 2wd trucks are ok with me, don't go bigger than 35" tires on stock axles/spindles.
Reply to
Mad Dog