Swap 77 Chevy PU to 1995 or newer engine/transmission practical?

In 1985 when my 1977 inline 6 cylinder head was not available nor replacement advisable because of cracking, I swapped the 100k mile engine for a V8 with all the necessary externals. Had to figure out where all the vacuum lines were connected. I had the cat welded to new mufflers and tail pipes; swapped the radiator for a V8 radiator with heat exchanger for autotrans; etc. Different engine mounts. That was before all the computers, anti-lock brakes, transmission controls, etc. How difficult is swapping a 1995 or newer engine w/trans into say a

1977 Chevy Pickup Truck? Wire harnesses should be changed; chip firmware of cpu specialized; etc. To difficult and outright rediculous? Is this more than a pipe dream? Or is it much more expensive than ditching it and getting a newer vehicle?

Perhaps I can answer my own questions by saying the vehicle:

  1. Is a major recall for safety hazzard during accident (gas tank on outside of frame)
  2. Ride is attrocious without 500lbs in bed.
  3. Rot in passenger door.
  4. Presently 9mpg city/14 hwy
  5. Low cost insurance and registration (a plus)
  6. Only paid 00 when 1st purchased & spent K replacing engine (cheap for 21 years use)
  7. City will pay 0 to buy the gas guzzler / smog poluter (it does pass for original standards)
  8. It's great for hauling my boat, another vehicle, furniture, trash, etc.

Think I should sell it to city and get a new vehicle? Safety first?

Reply to
<volkswag

Ed H.

Reply to