Swap 77 Chevy PU to 1995 or newer engine/transmission practical?

In 1985 when my 1977 inline 6 cylinder head was not available nor replacement advisable because of cracking, I swapped the 100k mile engine for a V8 with all the necessary externals. Had to figure out where all the
vacuum lines were connected. I had the cat welded to new mufflers and tail pipes; swapped the radiator for a V8 radiator with heat exchanger for autotrans; etc. Different engine mounts. That was before all the computers, anti-lock brakes, transmission controls, etc. How difficult is swapping a 1995 or newer engine w/trans into say a 1977 Chevy Pickup Truck? Wire harnesses should be changed; chip firmware of cpu specialized; etc. To difficult and outright rediculous? Is this more than a pipe dream? Or is it much more expensive than ditching it and getting a newer vehicle?
Perhaps I can answer my own questions by saying the vehicle: 1. Is a major recall for safety hazzard during accident (gas tank on outside of frame) 2. Ride is attrocious without 500lbs in bed. 3. Rot in passenger door. 4. Presently 9mpg city/14 hwy 5. Low cost insurance and registration (a plus) 6. Only paid $1100 when 1st purchased & spent $3K replacing engine (cheap for 21 years use) 7. City will pay $650 to buy the gas guzzler / smog poluter (it does pass for original standards) 8. It's great for hauling my boat, another vehicle, furniture, trash, etc.
Think I should sell it to city and get a new vehicle? Safety first?
As far as the wiring harness you might want to check out http://www.painlessperformace.com

Oops. Had a typo in the URL, instead try http://www.painlessperformance.com