Swapping parts on two S-10s

Hello everyone again,
A friend of mine gave me his 1992 Chevy Blazer S-10 2x4 4.3 and I'm going to swap some parts from that to my 1988 S-10 Blazer 4x4 4.3. I know
most if not all parts are pretty much a exact match between the two.
I have a few 'I wonder ifs'...
1a) I wonder if I could take the ABS system from his and put it on my non-abs truck. 1b) Is the ABS computer separate from the ECM. 1c) Does the ABS system on a 2x4 w/ front disc rear drums even monitor the drums? 1d) Would there be problems with using a ABS system designed for a 2x4 on a 4x4?
2) If I pull his engine out for storage, what do I NEED to get. I.E. the wire harness and computer.
3) Is there some place I might find out if a given part is compatible with the other. I.e. I know my o2 sensor costs $19, but his costs $25. I might have assumed they were the same. Thinking about it, it makes sense that it's not -- but how could I tell with things like the master break cylinder, fuel pump, etc.
4) My transmission was rebuilt 20k ago and is running great. Is it worth saving his original 700R4 transmission? Is there any street value to it? It works w/ no problems.
Just some things I was thinking :)
Thanks, Joe

I'll answer all in one shot. You'd have to do A LOT of wiring and then it may still not work. You have to take care of the sensors, the dash light (to tell you of any problems in the system), the diagnostic terminal wiring (the ABS DOES have a terminal in the ALDL). Not to mention re-doing the brake plumbing. Yes, the system will "read" the drums, his rear brakes are also drum brakes. Not sure how the 4x2 system differs from the 4x4 system. In short, if you're up for a good puzzler, go for it.

His O2 sensor is probably heated. This is also dependent on what engine his truck has.

He's probably got a 4L60, a slightly revamped version of your transmission.

. . ======= ======= ======== ========
wrote:
<snipped>
4) My transmission was rebuilt 20k ago and is running great. Is it worth saving his original 700R4 transmission? Is there any street value to it? It works w/ no problems. ======= ======= On Aug 19, 2004, 3:28pm (CDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@levyclan.nospam.us (MikeLevy) wrote:
<snip>
He's probably got a 4L60, a slightly revamped version of your transmission.
====== ====== Mike, a 4L60 is a 700r4.
Marsh ~:~ ========= =========
If the 4L60 is used as much as the 700R4 was, there are probably thousands around? Would it be worth me taking the 4L60 out and perhaps selling it?
I would think not. Let's say someone has a 4L60 and it was shot. If they were to buy my 4L60, they would still have to rebuild it. They could have kept theirs and rebuilt that one. So it doesn't make sense for someone to buy mine.
I guess the only scenario is that someone breaks something, like the oil pump. But good luck finding someone who needs it...
I guess at this point I'm thinking out loud :)
Thanks
(Mike Levy) wrote:
<snip>
He's probably got a 4L60, a slightly revamped version of your transmission.
==========Mike, a 4L60 is a 700r4.
Marsh ~:~ ================
. . ===== ===== On Aug 22, 2004, 12:38pm (CDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@cawfeemilk.com (JoeWebster) wrote: . If the 4L60 is used as much as the 700R4 was, there are probably thousands around?
<snip>
======= ======= As a matter of fact the 4L60 was used exactly as much as the 700R4 was.
read your thread
MarshMonster ~:~ ===== =====

Nah, it was just a what if :)

Not going to reuse his, just wondering.
Thanks
I would wager that his ABS system ONLY looks at his rear drums. They have the biggest problem with locking up. ABS sucks though - just learn how to not lock up your tires on your own. You'll stop faster than his truck ever could.
Gremlin

the
worth
It
I figured it was more trouble than it was worth, but you never know.
I always get plenty of practice in the snow when I go out and play :)
Thanks, Joe

know
my
monitor